Pleco always hiding, is he starving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SP89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased my pleco about 3 days ago, and he has been hiding in this large wood decoration I have in my tank sense. Ive seen him out of this log maybe twice sense Ive had him. Im just really worried that he is going to starve to death, Im not sure because this is my first pleco in maybe 3 years. Is he going to go hungry, or am I just being paranoid?

Also- I put an alge wafer inside of it in hopes he will find it and eat it, but I also have 2 scavenger crabs that are inside of it quite often.

Let him calm down and settle in a bit, he's probably fine. And would you mind telling us a bit more about the tank? What size tank is it, what type of pleco is it, and did you cycle the tank? If it's a common pleco, take him back to the store, as they need a minimum of a 125 gallon tank, and grow to be 24 inches long!!!

Give him a few more days to adjust before you start worrying. He's probably just scoping out the scene and settling in.

In a few days, you might also try a small slice of zucchini or cucumber. I can always coax mine out of his cave with zucchini!

We've had our pleco for around 2 months now. It's an event if you ever see him. If I see him come out, even for a second, I tell my wife. It's that rare.

But last night, I finally saw him sticking to the glass. It was a good sight. There is definitely some algae on there, and I was just about to clean it all off too being as how he wasn't doing it.

well, since plecos are nocturnal, you wont see it, unless it has that stuff over its eyes to block light.. i feed my plec algae wafers after i turn the tank lights off.. just give him a bit..

Ahh, thank you all for your advice & info. Im just a worry wart when it comes to ALL my pets. You have all eased my mind. Ill deffinatly have to grab a zucchini the next time Im at the store. :)

Back
Top Bottom