Pleco at top of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitche8359

Aquarium Advice Addict
While cleaning my tank and watching it a bit tonight, I noticed that the pleco likes to swim upside down at the top of the tank. It sticks its mouth out of the tank as if it's breathing. Just wondering if anyone knows what he's doing. The tetras and angels do it some to, not upside down of course. Looks like they are going for food when there isn't any.

I don't think I described it very well, he goes to the center of the tank, away from the sides all together. If you mean the glass tops, no algae is growing on it. It sure could use cleaned though.... :)

Would you describe it as "gasping at the surface"? If the fish go to the surface a lot that usually indicates high nitrite or low oxygen, since there is more O2 at the surface.

Yes that's how I would describe it. I'll check the nitrite level. Just checked the nitrate and PH with a friend's new test kit. Nitrate read between 0 and 5. PH close to 6.8.

I was always told that there's more O2 in colder water which would be at the bottom of the tank. However, that might be why the Ram is acting funny since he's at the bottom of the tank.

Ok I just tested the Nitrites... 0. (Thanks Scott) So the results from my expired test kits are reading fairly true. Was hoping that one of the tests would show something to explain the Ram. I'll have to go check the params for Rams again. I thought they like a PH of 7.0 on the low side.

The gas exchange of O2 is going to happen at the surface, so be sure your filter is flowing properly and there there is enough water movement. Rams should do just great in your water.

Yeah I read the water params and 5.0 was the low end for the natural environmentof rams.

You are right the 02 exchange is going to happen at the surface. I actually cleaned the filter last night after letting it go for a month. Wanted to let goodies accumulate. It was fairly dirty and I'm sure the water flow was restricted. Plenty of circulation was going through, but a lot more now.

The ram was acting a lot better last night. Still didn't leave the bottom, but he was moving around a lot more. Hopefully the improved water flow will get more O2 in the water that's what is going on with the tank.

Back
Top Bottom