Pleco breeding tank crisis!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover5297

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
I've had a real struggle to breed my bristlenose plecos and recently have had some success with the first four babies been seen in my tank however on the same day that these appeared so did these weird little bug things which I have managed to identify as seed shrimp so my questions are how do I get rid of them without harming the babies? which I'm now concerned about as I haven't seen them since the day these bugs appeared what can i do?
Any help would be great on this topic thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Seed shrimp won't harm anything, they feed on detritus and algae, so just like any other copepod or snails their numbers can be controlled or wiped out by extra water changes. I would guess they were there before but unnoticed and with the extra food and added waste their numbers have grown.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They seem to come from nowhere that's the annoying thing and I dot like them which fish would eat them but not harm my plecos with their breeding?

Would tiger barbs work?

Would the smaller barbs be better?

Hey fishlover, are seed shrimp little white quick things that cruise all around the tank real fast?

Yes they keep appearing no matter what I do

Tiger barbs are pretty aggressive. Maybe try a small tetra like a neon or cardinal? My cardinals love brine shrimp

Why not a group of male guppies. Peaceful with no females around, brightly colored, and won't bother the plecos.

Charity

In a breeding setup, you don't want other fish in the tank. Just deal with the seed shrimps. Feed less and do more waterchanges. That should cut down on numbers. They aren't doing any harm.

Back
Top Bottom