Pleco compatibility with small bottom-dwellers/inverts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

ever since I got a cute pleco plushie from my lfs, I've been thinking about maybe getting one of the dwarf kinds! The set up I'm still working on cycling is a 20 gallong long that's medium planted with a small/medium piece of driftwood and a decent amount of rocks with black sand substrate. I also have a ceramic house thing (not quite a cave but it has an opening) and a ceramic cone as well. I bought them for the intention of being general hidey holes but also a place for a bamboo shrimp to hide.

So here's what I'm planning on stocking, so far I've only purchased the mystery snail and the nerite snail and the cories. **Note: the purchased stock is currently in my qt tank, not the 20g long!!

x1 bamboo shrimp (AKA singapore shrimp AKA wood shrimp, etc)
x1 nerite snail
x1 (or x2) mystery snail
x20+ red cherry shrimp
x11 corydoras habrosus (these guys are only as big as RCS!!!)
x8 celestial pearl danios

Currently I'm running a fluval c2 filter, which should be zero problem for my current stocking plans, but if I want to add a dwarf pleco, I'll add a secondary sponge filter.

The two types of plecos I was looking at are L129 (chocolate zebra pleco) and LDA08 (gold bristlenose pleco). I like the look of the L129 much more, to be honest the bristles kinda freak me out so if I were going to get an LDA08 it'd be female! But from one or two sources I saw that L129s can be aggressive towards other bottom dwellers!!! :( These cories are sooo tiny there's no way they could put up a fight. Another concern I had was perhaps a bamboo shrimp and pleco territory dispute? Not that the shrimp are territorial, but I guess I might want to get another hidey hole or something just in case...heh

I've never had a pleco before, but the L129s look very pretty and are something I'm considering. As far as I'm aware, the L129s are more carnivores than the LDA08 but whether or not they're algae eaters, that's not a huge issue to me.

Pleco experts, please advise!!! Just looking for something that won't eat my plants, won't attack my tiny fish, stays under 3 or 4 inches and doesn't need several different types of driftwood. This is the reason why I decided against including the clown pleco in my decision pool. Thank you!!! :)

Do you know if the plants will repeal the pleco? I'd hate for them to be relabled SNACK

Do you mean repel?

Well I don't know too much about the dwarf bristlenose pleco but the L129 doesn't eat plants, it's more of a carnivore pleco. Which makes me think it'd be safe with plants. Right??

Back
Top Bottom