Pleco diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eel lover50

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I was thinking about adding a Pleco to my 20 gallon tank. What do Plecos' diet consist of? Are the easy to keep healthy?

Hi, I was thinking about adding a Pleco to my 20 gallon tank. What do Plecos' diet consist of? Are the easy to keep healthy?

Depends on the pleco you're planning on getting. Their diet can consist of meaty things, algae wafers/veggies, or wood. Once a pleco is established, it's pretty hardy. For the first few weeks though they're pretty feeble.

There are only a couple pleco's small enough for a 20g and even that IMO is pushing it. Bristlenose, Bulldog, and Rubberlip pleco's would possibly work. Oto cats and Nerite snails are a better choice with a much lower bio-load.

I feed mine a lot of blanched Zucchini. But they also like cooked, deshelled peas, cucumbers, and algae wafers.

Do the pelvis need wood. I've got a piece of bogwood/ driftwood in there now. Will the pleco demolish it to dust or is it even noticeable that it eats off of the wood?

Back
Top Bottom