Pleco experts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have three plecos in one tank probably for a period of 3-4 months two mature male and female bristlenoses and one very small clown pleco. Will this work? When i put my female in today she fought with the male was this becase their was food in the tank? Or what? I dont want the female to go after my clown. Oh and its a 55 gallon tank .

I have heard plecos will fight, but i'm not entirely sure if this is true or not. One of my teachers has a tank (20-30 gallon) that contains 2 plecos and they never seemed to fight when I looked at them in her class. Good luck!

I have heard plecos will fight, but i'm not entirely sure if this is true or not. One of my teachers has a tank (20-30 gallon) that contains 2 plecos and they never seemed to fight when I looked at them in her class. Good luck!

Thanks! im not worried about the bristlenoses only about one of them harming my little clown pleco.

I have two bristle nose and added a third and they quarrel constantly. I had to rearrange the driftwood and rocks to create "new" territories. Now it all quiet on the home front. I have a bristle in another tank and added two clowns and all is well in that one cause everyone has staked a claim in there. Plecos are territorial. Sometimes they share and sometimes they don't. Just really a roll of the dice. I heard clowns can hold their own so I wouldn't worry.

I have two bristle nose and added a third and they quarrel constantly. I had to rearrange the driftwood and rocks to create "new" territories. Now it all quiet on the home front. I have a bristle in another tank and added two clowns and all is well in that one cause everyone has staked a claim in there. Plecos are territorial. Sometimes they share and sometimes they don't. Just really a roll of the dice. I heard clowns can hold their own so I wouldn't worry.

Ok my clowns not even an inch and my females about 6" and I read clowns are really timid, but that's good to here that they can hold their own.

They can be territorial. Have plenty of caves/hiding spots so they don't fight over those.

I have a breeding cave , a cave made out of driftwood, and a rock that has a little overhang to it which kind of makes a cave. Would this be enough? I don't really have that much more room for more caves.

Clowns can be timid. Once again it's really rolling the dice. Mine aren't too bad. I have planted tanks and use pretty bright lights and they still come out. Granted they hang around the base of the driftwood and they rocks around it, but they swin and rasp all up and down the wood. At nite when the moonlight simulator is on, now that is fun too watch cause they run the tank. Everywhere. They do get pretty crabby with the other fish when I drop in their nighttime feeding. They will run off anyone who tries to feed at their table. Sounds like u have pretty good hiding spots.

Clowns can be timid. Once again it's really rolling the dice. Mine aren't too bad. I have planted tanks and use pretty bright lights and they still come out. Granted they hang around the base of the driftwood and they rocks around it, but they swin and rasp all up and down the wood. At nite when the moonlight simulator is on, now that is fun too watch cause they run the tank. Everywhere. They do get pretty crabby with the other fish when I drop in their nighttime feeding. They will run off anyone who tries to feed at their table. Sounds like u have pretty good hiding spots.

Actually my clown likes to sit behin my oxygen tube when the lights are on! SHe is litterally invisible if she sits at the right angle. And my male bristlenose is the active one the moves all around the tank!

Back
Top Bottom