Pleco for my friends 65 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good for you :), but I'm sure his friend is looking for something on the less expensive side that still looks good.

Also tombs I have 4 plecos in my 55 and about 15 small ones in my 40. (Filtration is amazing though, I think I spent about the same on filtration as I did on the plecos)

The thread wasn't what's a nice cheap pleco it was what's a nice pleco

You can get some very nice cheap plecos

I have a nice mango / magnum L47 right now they are not super cheap but you get a lot of pleco for you buck

The thread wasn't what's a nice cheap pleco it was what's a nice pleco

You can get some very nice cheap plecos

I have a nice mango / magnum L47 right now they are not super cheap but you get a lot of pleco for you buck

I'm sure since his friend is on the novice pleco keeper side, he wouldn't want to put so much money into a fish that might die on him. Mango plecos are quite notorious for dying so I would never recommend him one of those.

We're trying to get him a loricariid he will have a good experience with and be successful with, not something that will drive him away.

To tell the truth a lot of pleco are easy as long as you make sure they are feeding before you buy them

I have never had any problems with mango pleco and I have had over 8
I buy one small put it in my ray put grow out tank and sell when they get to about 7" I buy them at around 2"

They grow fairly fast they are not aggressive

I think people take to much in with what they read on the net and not enough from people on forums who have kept them

You can get some nice hardy plecos if you spend up to $50 which isn't a lot of money most people spend more than that on a night out

Good pleco are

Green phantom
Blue phantom
Golden nugget
Royal panache

They are just ones I have kept in what I would class the lower price bracket

To tell the truth a lot of pleco are easy as long as you make sure they are feeding before you buy them

I have never had any problems with mango pleco and I have had over 8
I buy one small put it in my ray put grow out tank and sell when they get to about 7" I buy them at around 2"

They grow fairly fast they are not aggressive

I think people take to much in with what they read on the net and not enough from people on forums who have kept them

You can get some nice hardy plecos if you spend up to $50 which isn't a lot of money most people spend more than that on a night out

Good pleco are

Green phantom
Blue phantom
Golden nugget
Royal panache

They are just ones I have kept in what I would class the lower price bracket

Whatever you say. I won't comment further on this. All I need to say is, as a breeder, I know how plecos work and react to their surroundings.

You probably keep your water spotless, good on you. Not alot of us have the time to keep the water so extremely clean.

Whatever you say. I won't comment further on this. All I need to say is, as a breeder, I know how plecos work and react to their surroundings.

You probably keep your water spotless, good on you. Not alot of us have the time to keep the water so extremely clean.

I'm a breeder of FW black ray and as a breeder I feel its my duty to keep my water in top condition

Any breeder of any animal should provide the best they can for the live stock they produce if they haven got time to provide tip top water they shouldn't be breeding

If I can manage to maintain a 1000 gal tank breed rays provide good water without having any legs which I don't have I'm sure people with legs should be able to take care of much smaller tanks don't you

I'm a breeder of FW black ray and as a breeder I feel its my duty to keep my water in top condition

Any breeder of any animal should provide the best they can for the live stock they produce if they haven got time to provide tip top water they shouldn't be breeding

If I can manage to maintain a 1000 gal tank breed rays provide good water without having any legs which I don't have I'm sure people with legs should be able to take care of much smaller tanks don't you

Having legs and not having legs makes no difference, if the problem is time. Are you saying I shouldn't be breeding if I don't have the time to keep the water conditions perfect? If that's the case I'm sure many of the species we have available today to buy shouldn't even be attainable. Because the breeding conditions aren't perfect.

For me, it's the satisfaction and successful feeling I get when sharing fry with fellow aquarists that makes me continue to breed plecos. If you would deny that to the less than perfect aquarist what kind of hobby would this be? Perhaps ray turds are the size of dog poop, but have you experience the ticker tape parade in pleco breeding tanks? Give me a break.

This hobby is about enjoyment, it isn't a job unless you want to make it one, which clearly you have.

Respect to u dude

Having legs and not having legs makes no difference, if the problem is time. Are you saying I shouldn't be breeding if I don't have the time to keep the water conditions perfect? If that's the case I'm sure many of the species we have available today to buy shouldn't even be attainable. Because the breeding conditions aren't perfect.

For me, it's the satisfaction and successful feeling I get when sharing fry with fellow aquarists that makes me continue to breed plecos. If you would deny that to the less than perfect aquarist what kind of hobby would this be? Perhaps ray turds are the size of dog poop, but have you experience the ticker tape parade in pleco breeding tanks? Give me a break.

This hobby is about enjoyment, it isn't a job unless you want to make it one, which clearly you have.

Yes people who don't have time to take care of them to give them the best they can SHOULDN'T own them its no fair on the animal

Just because any animal breeds is no proof they are happy it's every animals natural intent to reproduce no matter what

Yes people who don't have time to take care of them to give them the best they can SHOULDN'T own them its no fair on the animal

I respect your opinion. I give my fish the best care I can give, Unfortunately it's not up to par with your standards.

You truly are exemplary.

Sorry....rubber lip, clown, albino BN, chocolate lace and red lizard whiptail (this is not EXACTLY a pleco but close) panda garras are way cool too. Again, not EXACTLY a pleco but they clean!

Sorry....rubber lip, clown, albino BN, chocolate lace and red lizard whiptail (this is not EXACTLY a pleco but close) panda garras are way cool too. Again, not EXACTLY a pleco but they clean!

On the topic of BNs. I have a regular long fin not albino. I've had him since Sunday morning and he doesn't come out of his cave. Is he jut getting used to his surroundings or is he just naturally nervous?

On the topic of BNs. I have a regular long fin not albino. I've had him since Sunday morning and he doesn't come out of his cave. Is he jut getting used to his surroundings or is he just naturally nervous?

Ive got the bn in one of my tanks chances are he just getting use to the surrounding as its only been 24 hours since you ve got him, I dont think bn are usually nervous well I dont find that with mine but no idea if it different for the long fin bn thou am sure someone with more experince will chime in...

Ive got the bn in one of my tanks chances are he just getting use to the surrounding as its only been 24 hours since you ve got him, I dont think bn are usually nervous well I dont find that with mine but no idea if it different for the long fin bn thou am sure someone with more experince will chime in...

Anyone?

I wouldn't worry, I've had my Pleco 2 years and every week when I do a pwc he won't come out of his cave for a full day, unless i drop him some broccoli, it's like he's sulking ;) seriously though they are weird critters , well mine is but I wouldn't be without the monster ..

I wouldn't worry, I've had my Pleco 2 years and every week when I do a pwc he won't come out of his cave for a full day, unless i drop him some broccoli, it's like he's sulking ;) seriously though they are weird critters , well mine is but I wouldn't be without the monster ..

Do you ever see yours?

All the time he's out most of the day, but like now I have just been in the tank with the vac he's off back in his cave, I have apologised to him by way of dropping a shrimp wafer in and he's just come out now..

Back
Top Bottom