Pleco Growth rates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User

Aquarium Advice FINatic
No I did not buy a common pleco and put it in a 2 gal tank.

Now that that is out of the way, would anyone like to share their experiences on how fast their plecos grew? Especially if you have a larger kind!

I was wondering how long you could keep a larger species pleco in a medium sized tank before it would be necessary to buy a larger tank. I know a lot of factors go into the growth rates of fish, (water quality, diet, ect.), but I am still curious.

If you have any older/larger plecos and have watched them grow up or have any cool stories please respond! Thanks!

I have had a juvenile common pleco for maybe a month now in my 55 gallon. (Don't kill me, people! It's temporary, once he reaches about five inches he'll be going in a spacious outdoor pond! I just don't want him eaten by bigger fish :))
Since that disclaimer is out of the way...
He's grown about two inches in three weeks. I haven't given him many nutritional suppliments besides the in-tank algae other than the occasional veggie wafer. He's growing very quickly and will hopefully be in the pond in a month.

Wow that is quick. I didnt know commons grew that fast. I am glad he is going to a pond! probably plenty of algea lol

Soo much algae in there. It's pretty much pleco paradise. I really think common plecos should be pond fish and not aquarium fish. Not on option for everyone, but down here in the south they can stay out all winter and be fine.

To be fair I think they were starving this guy at the petco I got him from. My other plecos (BN and RL) grew pretty slowly and never reached their maximum size.

ah thats interesting. At least he will definately be happy in the pond and good job rescuing him!

Does anyone know where I could find this information? Do some take years and others months?

I may try a pleco forum if there is such a thing...

Back
Top Bottom