Pleco help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWFishTanks

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am setting a 75 gallon planted tank, and i wanted a pleco (not for cleaning purposes (i just like how they look and act.) I want a pleco that stay 6 inches or shorter and one that isn't aggressive towards other fish. Can you help me out?

Both bristle nose and rubber lip stay around 6 inches. Remember that they like driftwood so you should probably get some if you plan on getting one of these little guys, and also it is best to introduce the pleco several months after the tank is established, so water parameters are set and some algae has developed.

Here are some ideas:

Bulldog Catfish (L146a) grows to about 5" and are usually placid
Orange-Tipped Pleco (L076) grows to about 6" and are peaceful
Pretty Peckoltia (L103) grows to about 2.5"and are peaceful
Big-Fin Bristlenose (144a) grows to about 4" and are actively territorial
Zebra Pleco (L106) grows to about 3.5" and are placid
Clown Pleco (L104) grows to about 3" and are territorial

My recommendation would be the Black Hi-fin Pleco (L108ish, go by Hypostomus Emarginatus). It grows to about 7" and are my favorite pleco. They're peaceful and display all of the characteristics of plecos that people love. Most notably they're active during the day and won't hide to the point you'll never see them like many smaller plecos. Your tank is large enough to support a fish of this size.

Back
Top Bottom