Pleco help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Idiot boy pleco has gone and torn up his fin - i assumw hw was chasing his smaller tank mate and tried to get through a space too narrow for him. Any ideas on how to treat this? Doesn't seem to be getting septic & I have no way of segregating him so it must be an "in tank" solution

If you just add some more water conditioner or wherever your slime coat help comes from along with some aquarium salt it should heal right up, if you have live plants go light on salt, maybe ¼ of typical dose

Just water changes will do it. Looks like he might have alittle fungus starting on top. I'd test the water. Might be just me, but. Looks like it from the pic.

There's alot of does and don't's. Plecos have a very hard skin. I have used salt in my tank before and have alittle pleco. (Maybe 3"-4") I just give him a zucchini to munch on. I cured ich on him with salt and heat. So this would be your call with the salt. Mine was not bothered by it. Everybody's fish are different than the next. If you use salt, like said about " just watch him close with it " if it bothers him than water changes asap. Some handle the dose, some less of a dose, and others not at all.

Back
Top Bottom