Pleco hiding place

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeffreyL

Aquarium Advice Freak
We are finally taking the plunge and getting a pleco!!! Planning on a BristleNose, when they 'become available' again locally. Sigh. Concerning a hiding place for the little darling, does it need to be dark? I made a neat cave from a water battle, siliconing gravel to the outside. But it is not at all dark inside. Will this be suitable for a BN? Or do I need to make a few modifications?? Oh, and while there will be pieces of wood for rasping, a large chunk of driftwood is not an option. The BN will be a tankmate of Bruce The Exibitionist, a crowntail betta. And the little idiot will manage to shred his fins on anything sharp in the tank.

Driftwood doesn't have to be jagged and sharp. Most people like it that way because it adds swimthroughs and hiding spots, and just looks more natural. You could get a piece of wood and cut it to a near flat surface or even sand it and then boil it and lead it up against the back of your tank. No matter what shape it is, its still the same wood... so you see, driftwood is still and option and Bruce stays happy.

pleco

Got that covered. I found 2 smaller pieces, relatively smooth for rasping. What I meant was a larger piece that would provide a hiding place is out. Bruce squeezes into any crack or crevice he can. He has already slightly damaged his fins squiming around the heater. Hence his other name, Bruce The Idiot. lol So I made a smooth cave.

ROFL JeffreyL you make me laugh ! I'm glad Bruce the Idiot has a keeper with such a great attitude and sense of humor !

Just a quick question-- does a Bristlenose NEED to have driftwood? I had read on another site that it's not particularly necessary.

pleco

I am no expert on plecos, but every reference I have read says ....... Yes!!!! Bristlenose are one of a number of plecos that are sometimes called 'wood eaters'. They like and apparently need to rasp, or scrape wood and ingest it. A form of fishy metamucil. Of course it causes them to produce lots of waste......... so a good filter is recommended. lol

On a side note, I gave up on the BN, for now. Instead, Bruce's new tankmates are 3 little adorable pitbull "plecos" Actually they are related to otos. They are called pitbulls because they are the stoutest member of that genus. And I am lecturing again ........ so I will go check on the little guys. Later.

For when you do get your BN, I strongly suspect they need a dark place. I am definitey no expert but anytime that I have seen one in a store where they are given a place to hide... well then I actually don't see them. I bought one today and the lfs owner had to overturn a number of things to find them because they couldn't be seen at all.

I bought some new rocks to make some hiding spots for him but they weren't overly dark... he immediately took over my kuhli cave and sent them packing. So.... tomorrow I have to find a temporary make-shift cave for my poor little kuhlis. Good luck with the bulldogs. :)

plecos

Thanks Elle2! The little guys have settled right in. Bruce decided they were beneath his notice and the peppered cories treat them as oddly shaped relatives. A bit before lights out, 3 cories were having a meeting in the cheesy, white plastic rock; and 2 of the pitbulls were in there with them. What makes it funny is that when they do this, Bruce tries to squeeze in to see what is going on. The cories chase him off and then position themselves 'guarding' the entrances, with just their little noses sticking out. How can you not love the little ........ darlings???? :D

I have a BN in my 37 gallon tank and he doesn't always hide in a dark place. He does have a piece of wood he chews on and hides under but most of the time he is on the glass on the back of the tank behind a rock. Unless, of course, there is food, then he is front and center!

Attachments

• jimmy_337.jpg
    jimmy_337.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom