Pleco ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The fish store sold him to me as a bristlenose but I really dont think he is. Can anyone ID him for me?

img_1918982_0_45bae6a3e0962673c744cc1fc25ef371.jpg

img_1918982_1_c6b8b4543b4b2530fbe399ee3f22d64a.jpg

img_1918982_2_eb3477b0bf7b357e9ad8f8cb13339e95.jpg

That kind of looks like a common. I'd print out pictures of BNs and thoroughly compare, then return him.

That kind of looks like a common. I'd print out pictures of BNs and thoroughly compare, then return him.

Too late to return him. Its been almost 6 months. I bought him at about the same size as he is now. He hasnt grown much. My kids love him. They call him hippo :) If he's a common, I'll have to rehome him to a bigger tank. HE's in a 20 gallon long now.

EDIT: Just googled and I GUESS it could be a female?
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/luke_72/bnfemale.jpg

Ouch.. Yeah they need what, 70gallons? Just huge tanks. Lol

Ouch.. Yeah they need what, 70gallons? Just huge tanks. Lol

I think he'll be ok in my 55 if he is a common. After looking at the other link i added, I think it might be a female BN.

ccross said:
I think he'll be ok in my 55 if he is a common. After looking at the other link i added, I think it might be a female BN.

Idk :/ best of luck tho

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I Would say it is a female bristlenose because common pleco aren't as round in the noddy and they dont have the same head shape as that one does.it looks like a female bristle

Looks like a bn to me also. It could still be a male as some are late bloomers. And to add to what was posted, if he's still 3" or so after all that time its probably not a common.

Yep, he's been 3 inches for as long asI've had him :)

Oh that's a good point, Jeta. Lol thanks for everybody else. I must never have seen a BN female before.

Back
Top Bottom