Pleco only tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pfloyd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all -

I've always thought it would be cool to have a tank populated with mostly or only Plecos. I love the way they behave and the variety of colorations and sub species is wide.

Has anyone ever done this?

I have read that they make a lot of waste. Is that something to be considered?

I know some can grow huge. What size tank would make sense - I know it depends on how many fish, but say I wanted around 6 or 8 fish?

What else am I not considering here?

Thanks!

Some pelco species are more aggressive than others as well. Also you woildnt see much of anything free swimming so your tank would look pretty empty.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey all -

I've always thought it would be cool to have a tank populated with mostly or only Plecos. I love the way they behave and the variety of colorations and sub species is wide.

Has anyone ever done this?

I have read that they make a lot of waste. Is that something to be considered?

I know some can grow huge. What size tank would make sense - I know it depends on how many fish, but say I wanted around 6 or 8 fish?

What else am I not considering here?

Thanks!

It would be difficult. Most if not all plecos are territorial. Go for a large tank with a big footprint.

If you want lots of plecos in a single tank, get a pair and breed them. :)

Attachments

• Plecos.jpg
    Plecos.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 219
I never even considered breeding plecos. I'll have to read up on that.

If you want lots of plecos in a single tank, get a pair and breed them. :)
I love this. Im going to be setting up a breeding tank soon for bristlenose. What size do you use?

I love this. Im going to be setting up a breeding tank soon for bristlenose. What size do you use?

Thats cool ashley, I would use a 20 gallon minimum, but a 30 gallon tank would be excellent :) (if you want to keep the fry with the parents, the 30 can handle the bioload.) I use a 29 and they spawn so much, they won't stop.

(I know the question wasnt directed at me but... I like to help *sorry* lol)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thats cool ashley, I would use a 20 gallon minimum, but a 30 gallon tank would be excellent :) (if you want to keep the fry with the parents, the 30 can handle the bioload.) I use a 29 and they spawn so much, they won't stop.

(I know the question wasnt directed at me but... I like to help *sorry* lol)

I was planning on selling the fry. :) im working on a few breeding projects... im going to need a lot more tanks....

Haha, its
a fun and rewarding investment, considering theyre actually worth $. I dont recommend growing out fry for a year and a half to breed though lol... get an established pair if you dont have one already. Itll save you ALOT of time.

Back
Top Bottom