Pleco or Oto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Which is better for algae eater? 40 gallon tank all live plants 2 T5 lights.
Aren't pleco's dirty ?

bkiggy said:
Aren't pleco's dirty ?

Yeah go with the maybe 4 Otos.

bkiggy said:
Aren't pleco's dirty ?

I would go for otos out of the two but if I really had the choice it would be a golden Chinese algea eater!

A group of ottos are good, always busy. But plecos, get a bnp. They eat algae even when they grow up. Most others only eat it when they are young, then move on to other foods. Either way, be sure to give them fresh veggies and a real piece of driftwood. It aids in digestion as well as gives them a hiding spot.

What kind of algae are you wanting it for? Different algae eaters eat different types of algae and there are some types of algae no algae eater will eat. I have a Longfin Albino BN Pleco and I don't think it makes a huge mess, I also have oto's which are good for keeping the leaves of plants cleaned off. Nerite snails, which can't breed in freshwater are great algae eaters. There are alot of different ones but the little horned nerites zip around cleaning everything, glass, plants, DW, and anything else in your tank.

Nerite snails are the #1 algae eater on my list. But I'm assuming you only want to choose from the 2 you listed, so I would say I like the Otto better but it depends on your stock.

I personally love Plecos. There is a huge variety to pick from and they have plenty that will do well in a tank that size.

I have an elephant nose, upside down cat, pictus cat, albino Cory
Going to get a couple more Cory and probably a couple 'schooling' fish
Have ghost shrimp and breed snails for my puffer in another tank

Those are for marine. But will keep in mind. Plus freshwater is neutral. Nertile snails need 8.0+ PH
I might go with Otos. I do like bushy nose Pleco but they produce soooooo much waste.

No I have Nerite snails in my fw discus tank lol ph of 7.4
They live in fw, they just won't breed in less than brakish water.

If you get a Pleco the Bristlenose are the best to go with in a planted aquarium and they stay small. Oto's love brown diatoms. Albino Bristlenose pleco's tend to be more active during the day, my longfin albino bn pleco tools around all day.

bkiggy said:
Maybe I'll get both!!! Like 3 Otos and 1 bushy nose
* and a snail

Sounds good but make sure you have driftwood, supplement with veggies, and algae wafers.

Yes already have driftwood, my dog at the bag of algae wafers !!? And zucchini and peas are always in house

I wouldn't chooses the oto's the pictus will eat anything it can fit into it's mouth, a full grown pictus should be able to take an Oto quite easily.

The BNP may be a better choice.

My pictus seems to keep to himself. His friend in the tank is the albino Cory. There are 'feeder guppies' in there and he has left them alone

Back
Top Bottom