Pleco Poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40galreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I Recently got a small rubber lip pleco for a planted tank that has a serious algae problem. It's doing a great job cleaning up, but now I am noticing its poop all over the tank. I have heard of this problem, so I'm not too surprised. What can I do to help this issue? Thanks!

well, all plecos poop a lot. But u can help the problem by feeding them blanched vegeables such as the stems of broccoli, zucchini, cucumbers, romaine/green lettuce, and many algae wafers. You could tone down on the feeding and since there's a lot of agar in your tank, that could also be another reason why!

aqua hobbyist said:
well, all plecos poop a lot. But u can help the problem by feeding them blanched vegeables such as the stems of broccoli, zucchini, cucumbers, romaine/green lettuce, and many algae wafers. You could tone down on the feeding and since there's a lot of agar in your tank, that could also be another reason why!

So I'll just have to deal with it while the algae is bad?

Do a 50% water change each week to help die off the algae, turn on the light less, and like I said, algae need food to grow, so less feeding until the algae is gone, live plants will also help but not too much light!!

I have natural gravel that I picked from the ground, they're natural colored...

Attachments

• image-249074099.jpg
    image-249074099.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 72
If you got a darker color it would be a lot less noticeable. Also sand will prevent it from sinking into your gravel making it easier for you to vac out.

my pleco don't poop a lot because I under feed them a little rather than over feeding hem, also I do water changes every day or other day!

Oh sorry I meant to be talking to the person that started this thread. My bad...

Back
Top Bottom