pleco question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fished

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK Ive read somewhere where pleco cannot have salt at all. not even aquarium salt because it will cause them a painfull and slow death. due to it messes up there nerve system. i was just wondering because i have a black fin shark that once older likes to go to the ocean to spawn. so he goes nuts until you ad some salt in the tank. so my question is if i put some salt in there is my pleco going to die. thank you, fished

If you are referring to a Columbian shark as a "black fin", they don't require salt. Both of these fish grow quite large. What size tank are they in? Aquarium salt won't do anything to simulate marine or brackish conditions and IMO is not needed at all.

yes it is a Columbine shark. i was told when they mature that salt is needed because they go nuts inside your tank when they want to spawn and to calm him down just add some salt. so he wont start swimming around all crazy if i don't add salt. the person that told me that was a reliable source he just never specified what kind of salt. but he said just a couple teaspoons not alot

ColumBIAN. Columbine is TOTALLY different. Salt (of any type) is not needed. They won't go nuts wanting to spawn. lol

Sounds like someone was trying to get another someone to buy extra junk they dont need. ;D

ya sorry about spelling. it is an Columbian shark. thabks everyone the help was apperciated. fished

still, is it true about plecos not liking salt? because I was going to buy a pleco tomorrow and my fish had to have salt to cure their anchor worms, (which worked really well, thanks for everyone who gave advice) they seem to like the salt so i continue to use it, it's like redbull to my fishies.

@ Donna - If you have to put salt in the tank, then i would suggest getting a quarentine tank and putting each of them in little by little and treating them in the separate tank. Dont take a chance on just throwing salt in there and hopefully not killing other fish you have that dont like salt. IF you are going to get fish that needs certain treatments, and fish that dont.. then my best advice to you would to get a quarentine tank as said before.

thanks, i was told that the fish i have would quite enjoy the salt, and they're all the same breed. It was just the pleco i was worried about after seeing this thread. (incidentally, the infection has been long gone for quite a while now but i was told to keep using the salt as a tonic for the fish.)

The only use that salt has in a FW tank is for the treatment of Ich IMO.

but is it true with the salt and the pleco they say any kind of salt will kill them slow and painful is that true

They are very sensitive to it, yes. Same as other scaleless fish.

Back
Top Bottom