Pleco question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, they can live with lots of fish. They shouldn't be with anything too small because they might eat them if they can. All kinds of bottom feeders too like clown loaches, and syno cats will be fine.

Some people online say that driftwood is not needed for sailfin pleco yet others are saying that there should be wood in the tank, do they really need it?

Some people online say that driftwood is not needed for sailfin pleco yet others are saying that there should be wood in the tank, do they really need it?

One of mine spends a lot of time rasping on the wood in his tank. The other one chose a stone cave in his tank, and unless he is having a sneaky munch at night, I don't think he's interested.
Probably better to have it just in case

I just want to ask this one last question, what type of pleco is this? I thought it may be a sailfin but I'm not 100% sure

image-624259769.jpg

image-619182548.jpg

I'm late in this thread but the claims of plecos sucking the slime coat off fish is true. And they can also smell the stomach of other fish the I believe smells like algae to them. They will actually suck the stomach out. I know they like goldfish slime coat. Sucking on them when they sleep. Common plecos are the ones that usually do this. Clown plecs are drift wood munchers and bristles are more veggies.

VOXGM said:
I'm late in this thread but the claims of plecos sucking the slime coat off fish is true. And they can also smell the stomach of other fish the I believe smells like algae to them. They will actually suck the stomach out. I know they like goldfish slime coat. Sucking on them when they sleep. Common plecos are the ones that usually do this. Clown plecs are drift wood munchers and bristles are more veggies.

I have a galaxy pleco I've had for over a year and I have him with discus. Do you think he will be trouble for them? He hides most of te time but I'm worried about night times after reading this.

I have a galaxy pleco I've had for over a year and I have him with discus. Do you think he will be trouble for them? He hides most of te time but I'm worried about night times after reading this.

I wouldn't worry about him being as he feeds on algae and decaying plant matter. Just be sure he has algae to eat or algae waffers. I wouldn't think a galaxy pleco would suck on ur fish. It's mainly the common plecos that suck slime coat. Never really heard of any other species of pleco doing it. It's possible tho, if something gets hungry enough.

VOXGM said:
I wouldn't worry about him being as he feeds on algae and decaying plant matter. Just be sure he has algae to eat or algae waffers. I wouldn't think a galaxy pleco would suck on ur fish. It's mainly the common plecos that suck slime coat. Never really heard of any other species of pleco doing it. It's possible tho, if something gets hungry enough.

Great thanks. I never feed the pleco. There is enough plant matter and algae in the tank. And sometimes e eats the discus sinking pellets

It the pet ship it said hi fin pleco but I thought that was the same as sailfin

Yeah it looks like a sailfin when I get a closer look ill take a pic of him strutting his stuff

Back
Top Bottom