Pleco question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a highfin pleco and I just want to know if they are known to suck on other fish such as discus. Some places online said that certain plecos would but I'm not sure if this one will when he becomes larger, he is maybe 2 inches. Any and all input is welcomed

I have heard that too, but never witnessed it. That Pleco can get quite large. How big is your tank?

Yes plecos are a risk of sucking on fish like discus or goldfish

75 gallon and I really wanted to put some discus in there, if I have a piece of driftwood and it well planted do you think that it won't attack them?

Should I just return him? I feel bad cause he is pretty stunning and all

My mom has a Highfin Pleco in her 30 gallon tank. He is HUGE! I have told my mom to trade him in for a smaller one, but he really is beautiful, so she refuses to get rid of him. My mom also has some sizable silver dollars and an overstocked fishtank; 30+ fish and the plecko. The plecko does not bother any of the other fish.

My mom has a Highfin Pleco in her 30 gallon tank. He is HUGE! I have told my mom to trade him in for a smaller one, but he really is beautiful, so she refuses to get rid of him. My mom also has some sizable silver dollars and an overstocked fishtank; 30+ fish and the plecko. The plecko does not bother any of the other fish.

Wow..that seems VERY overstocked... the pleco alone is too much for that.

Should I just return him? I feel bad cause he is pretty stunning and all

I have a Hifin Spotted Pleco too in a 40G Breeder and he is about that same size. He isn't aggressive at all and I have not had any problems with him. You could probably keep him in there..however, for 75 gallons, once he gets bigger you would possibly have some water issues due to plecos large bioload and especially with fragile discus. You could rehome him once he is bigger if you'd like..that's what I plan on doing once he gets bigger.

I wouldn't put any full size Pleco with discus, just because of their bioloads. I would go with a bushy nose or a rubber lip.

I wouldn't put any full size Pleco with discus, just because of their bioloads. I would go with a bushy nose or a rubber lip.

Should these two pose a threat to the discus or no? That's the thing concerning me the most

I've never had a problem with any of my plecos but I don't have discus so I don't know. I did have goldfish with a pleco though and they got along just fine.

Is there any type of pleco that seems that they would pose the least threat to a discus?

Is there any type of pleco that seems that they would pose the least threat to a discus?

Probably a bristle nose or rubber lip. Any pleco can however be somewhat of a threat if the slimecoast is tasted by it. Cuz then it will keep wanting it. But those plecos are small and probably wouldn't even touch your discus.

I decided to give up the discus tank and keep the pleco, question is what fish will go good with a pleco and a small BGK, I'm thinking blue rams or maybe cichlids but not sure

You could do really any mildly aggressive South American cichlid like Severum, uaru, jack Dempsey, fire mouth, acara, and so on.

Back
Top Bottom