Pleco+Salt=?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello again sev...

This is a good conversation. We may be "splitting hairs", but your reference to undergravel filters versus the filters we have now is exactly what you've described, improvements in technology not in chemistry. Salt works the same way it did then as it does now and will in the future. It can't be improved upon, where technology is always getting better.

I have no doubt you have considerable experience with fish keeping and so do other establishments that use salt in their freshwater tanks and have for decades. An example of what I'm talking about is Aquatics Unlimited in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, a large breeder of freshwater fish. They've used salt in their freshwater tanks, 12,000 gallons of freshwater tanks, since the 1960s. They use about three times more than I'd use, but how do you argue with success. They obviously know what they're doing.

Thanks for you post.

B

They clearly do know what they're doing. Salt as a prophylactic works wonderfully for a few days on fish for quick turnaround since it subdues (not cures) many common ailments that come in with new fish from even the best distributors and breeders. However, as a long term (in the perspective of the fish, not the tank or store) it generally serves no purpose and can pose problems for quite an array of fish if long term goals, breeding, etc are the pursuit. Salt as a tonic does more damage because people think it is a "medicine". Very few fish truly do their best in slightly brackish water. Even less if they use aquarium salt. If a fish comes in with a disease, the most ethical practice is to attempt to diagnose and cure the cause. Accurately and without tonics. JMO

Using Salt in Freshwater Aquariums

i have no special qualifications or anything but i personally have noticed with my L022 pleco he seems to stress a little when salt is added to the aquarium. i used it once based on the advice of a forum but discontinued use based on that fact. in my head salt is used to treat deasese only and i would think having disolved salt in the tank may make the illneses harder to treat if they have been exposed to trace amounts, perhaps the develop a tollerance?

Hello dave...

You make a good point. Salt is used in much larger amounts when dealing with visible illnesses, a tablespoon or more is recommended. This is a large amount and will stress fish and plants too. The key to using salt, is to keep the dosage small. I use a little more than a teaspoon, which is about one-third what people use to treat infections and kill parasites like "Ich".

Aquarium salt or any regular salt (sodium chloride) that hasn't been processed with added anti-caking chemicals has definite advantages. For example, it has a calming affect on fish, helps them tolerate high nitrites in the tank water, heals wounds, stimulates the immune system (slime coat) and most harmful fish pathogens are unable to tolerate even a trace of dissolved salts in the tank water.

I've used it for years in my "Livebearer" and Corydoras tanks with good results. No doubt aquarium fish will survive without salt, but with a little, they'll thrive.

B

Last edited by a moderator:
I have several times purchased fish from tanks routinely dosed with salt and, from time to time, I've ended up with diseased fish from these tanks so, I'll have to disagree about the harmful fish pathogens being unable to tolerate even a trace of salt.

I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement that aquarium salt has a calming affect on freshwater fish. Many of us have seen first hand negative reactions from our fish when salt was added.

There is trace amounts of salt already present in many, if not most all tap water systems. So by that definition no fish should ever get a disease or parasite that is salt treatable.

There is certain levels of salt that are required to combat these different pathogens. Maintaining a level of salt in a tank to preemptively combat them is as unnecessary as maintaining a level of antibiotics in the tank for the same reason.

I say to leave the salt out unless it is treating an already existing issue, or if you plan to use it in a marinade.

jetajockey said:
There is trace amounts of salt already present in many, if not most all tap water systems. So by that definition no fish should ever get a disease or parasite that is salt treatable.

There is certain levels of salt that are required to combat these different pathogens. Maintaining a level of salt in a tank to preemptively combat them is as unnecessary as maintaining a level of antibiotics in the tank for the same reason.

I say to leave the salt out unless it is treating an already existing issue, or if you plan to use it in a marinade.

Haha:) ok

Back
Top Bottom