Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question Pleco suddenly very active?

So I have a ten-gallon freshwater tank with three neon tetras and a single inch-long plecostomus (sucker fish). When I first got him, he acted kind of shy and would hide behind decorations whenever I would come by to watch.

Lately, I've noticed that he's been acting much more active, but there is one event that stood out. I noticed that my tank was starting to get full of algae, but the next day, it was totally clean. My mom said that she didn't clean it, and neither did my dad. All I noticed was that my Pleco's stomach seemed to be a bit bigger, so I think he cleaned the whole tank himself.

I was just wondering if this was typical pleco behavior and if I should be concerned.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A 10 gallon tank is way way way way to small for a pleco, they can grow to 18+ inches

Old 09-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Instead of simply telling him his tank size is wrong how about answering his question?
It sounds like you have quiet the cleaner on your hands! I have heard ofnit happening before so I think it is kinda normal. Plecos are very very shy when first introduced into a new tank.
Now the above poster is right. Your tank is about 15 times to small for him I recomend either getting a bigger tank once he hits 3-4 inches or taking him back and getting otocinclus
Old 09-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea, I apologize. The reason I started this hobby was because I did the same thing. Now hi have lots of tanks with beautiful plecos haha
Old 09-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEaquarium06 View Post
Yea, I apologize. The reason I started this hobby was because I did the same thing. Now hi have lots of tanks with beautiful plecos haha
Its all good. I just feel for people because I remember being there lol red tailed shark, common pleco, and 8 other mix matched fish in a 10 gallon!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

First try to find out what KIND of plec you have. Ten gallons is still too small, but you might not be looking at nearly as big of an upgrade if its something like a bulldog pleco vs. it being a common pleco. Also you'll want to figure out what caused the algae to bloom up that quickly.

Tags
plec, pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com