Pleco swimming updside down to get food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The other morning I woke up and fed my fish like normal. I walked away and when I came back my pleco was swimming belly-up on the surface of the water! He didn't look pale, he was still breathing, and he wasn't just floating in one spot he was moving all around the tank while upside down on the water's surface. I almost freaked out but then I remembered I read somewhere that they sometimes do this at feeding time to eat flake food. I feed him cucumbers every day so he's not starving but he apparently just figured out how to do this. He's now been doing it every morning and night when I feed the other fish but other than that, he acts totally normal! Has anyone else seen this?

The other morning I woke up and fed my fish like normal. I walked away and when I came back my pleco was swimming belly-up on the surface of the water! He didn't look pale, he was still breathing, and he wasn't just floating in one spot he was moving all around the tank while upside down on the water's surface. I almost freaked out but then I remembered I read somewhere that they sometimes do this at feeding time to eat flake food. I feed him cucumbers every day so he's not starving but he apparently just figured out how to do this. He's now been doing it every morning and night when I feed the other fish but other than that, he acts totally normal! Has anyone else seen this?

Sounds like your pleco found out to work smart not hard! Haha yes this type of behavior is common for long time resident plecos.

My common pleco use to do this for blood worms. Would grab the cube while upside down, take it to the bottom of the tank and sit on it so no one else got any.

Back
Top Bottom