Pleco Tank for the Small Flavors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommachef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been thinking about doing a pleco tank with just small species- not the monster types, and maybe 4-5 of them depending on what I can find. I don't have the room for another massive tank, so I thought this might be a good , unique alternative. Obviously bio load would be a huge concern, but with heavy filtration and diligent water Changes I don't see it being that big of an issue (I may be wrong but that's why I'm here). Anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what size tank I should think about for something like this??

Attachments

• image-2035775491.jpg
    image-2035775491.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 67
I'd use a 55. Plecos can be territorial so you'd need lots of hiding places

I'd use a 55. Plecos can be territorial so you'd need lots of hiding places

Lots of hiding places = more rocks and driftwood. Sold! That's my two favorite things about my tanks! Lol :) I was thinking a 55 would probably be what I would look for.

You can get a 55, but the plecos would benefit more from a bigger footprint. So a 40 would be better. If a 75 is still within "smaller tank" for you then that would be even better. The 55 is too narrow, and that extra height won't benefit the plecos at all.

The bigger footprint will allow plecos to be kept with less territorial disputes since there is more land for them to be on. I have quite a few in my 40, more than 5 and they are alot happier than they were in my 55 that also had lots of wood and rocks :)

Back
Top Bottom