Pleco tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBenns

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 60 gallon tank and really want a common pleco. How big of one can I get? I do plenty of water changes so the waste they produce is not a problem, I'm just worried about the fish.

A common pleco gets much too big for a 60 gallon tank. They can get 14" and need at least 150 gallons. They never stop popping, they need massive filtration wherever they go. There's tons of other plecos out there that would be a much better option!

There are 12 African cichlids in there now. I've just always loved plecos especially when they get large. Is there another pleco that gets big but not that big?

I'm kind of looking for a larger stand out fish, but would also like an algae eater.

Why not get a Featherfin catfish they are a stand out awesome fish. The common pleco is not an algae eater. It just causes waste if you want one you need a big 125-150 gallon with fish centered around the pleco.

Why not get a Featherfin catfish they are a stand out awesome fish. The common pleco is not an algae eater. It just causes waste if you want one you need a big 125-150 gallon with fish centered around the pleco.
I do really like featherfins, I don't really have caves it would be able to go in, do I need them?

You need some type of cave or hollow log for him i have one and they love hiding places and Need them.

You need some type of cave or hollow log for him i have one and they love hiding places and Need them.
I figured, if I do get one I'll make sure to pick something up!

That's what I would do he will be a nice addition to your tank!

Back
Top Bottom