Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy14

Aquarium Advice Activist
How big is a plecostomus supposed to get if it lives a normal lifespan?

Sent from inside my fish tank

There are ones that stay small and others that get to 3 foot unless we no which one it is we can't help, try getting a pic there's loads on here that can help id them for you

Sent from fish phone

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422384427.853482.jpg

Little blurry let me know if you need a better picture

It appears to be a common pleco and yes they get huge. Not suitable for most tanks. ExchNge it for a bristenose....only get 5 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thank you exactly how big because my friend wants one in his 135 gallon tank

FYI the lucky bamboo may rot on you if too much of it is in the water. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can't see your pic but if it's a common like people are saying, it's gonna get big they have been known to get over 3 foot, mine was a common(was over a foot when it died) you will need close to a 6 foot tank when it's fully grown, otherwise it's growth can be stunted and get very poorly and die, the problem with commons is most people don't no how big thy will get, (I was told by lfs it won't get bigger then 7inches hmmmm yea right,) they are hard to find homes for aswell, i always wanted to see mine get big I love the big plecos(many people think they are boring but there's something mesmerising about them)

If I was you and you have a small tank I'd start looking now for a cheap big tank, they grow quite quickly

Sorry about rabbiting on

Sent from fish phone

I can't see your pic but if it's a common like people are saying, it's gonna get big they have been known to get over 3 foot, mine was a common(was over a foot when it died) you will need close to a 6 foot tank when it's fully grown, otherwise it's growth can be stunted and get very poorly and die, the problem with commons is most people don't no how big thy will get, (I was told by lfs it won't get bigger then 7inches hmmmm yea right,) they are hard to find homes for aswell, i always wanted to see mine get big I love the big plecos(many people think they are boring but there's something mesmerising about them)

If I was you and you have a small tank I'd start looking now for a cheap big tank, they grow quite quickly

Sorry about rabbiting on

Sent from fish phone

Thank you where can I find a big cheap tank

FYI the lucky bamboo may rot on you if too much of it is in the water. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Should I take it out of the water sometimes

Thank you where can I find a big cheap tank

Craigslist
Yard sales
$1/gal sales

You can also DIY a pond using Rubbermade containers or a stock tank. There are vids on YouTube.

If you can't afford a large tank and a very large filter, rehome the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you are in the uk try gumtree, I tried Craigslist but nothing ever seemed to come up for uk. I got my last one of gumtree a 3 foot 120 litres for £15 with everything including filter which was £50, I would say eBay but they can be a bit expensive.

Also car boots are a good idea I've had some really good ones, only problem is you can't test them there.

If you do buy one of gumtree/Craigslist always ask then to fill it up or leave it filled so you can see its water tight (even If you offer to help fill up and empty after)

Sent from fish phone

Back
Top Bottom