Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2004, 02:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to williate Send a message via Yahoo to williate
Plecostmus

My goldfish and plecostmus lived happily in my fish tank for 8 months. I hadn't done a very good job of keeping it clean but they both seemed to be doing fine. This last weekend though I decided that it was time for me to clean it. I wanted to add another couple fish to it and the petco lady told me that it would be a good idea to clean it once a week for a month before I added new ones. I did that and that's when the problems seemed to occur. The plica hardly moved, less than usual. It was hard to tell if the fish was actually alive for the most part. I also used a algae eliminator on Sunday and then on Tuesday it was dead. Monday was when I started worrying that there might be something wrong. Did I do something wrong that it would have caused it's death or could it have been a natural thing? iamb confused and am now worrying if the same will happen to my goldfish.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-07-2004, 02:25 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
hmm...how "well" did you clean it the first time you did the water change? How big is your tank? You did a gravel vaccum right? How much of the water did you change out? And how long did the tank go with no water change?

My guess is that you went quite a while with no water change. Then, did a really good, a too good, water change, and got rid of all the nice bacteria in the water. This might have caused the ammonia in your tank to spike as well..

Also, the fish going from a tank full of nitrate, nitrites, etc. then going to a tank with none, might have shocked it. Do you have a test kit now? Test the water, and let us know the parameters (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, ph, etc.) and we should be able to help you.

Sorry about your loss, by the way. Good luck!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 04:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would I be right in assuming that you are not heating your water? Most plecos like warm water. When you added the new water, did you make sure the water temps were close? Maybe the cleaning was very stressful to him with rapid water temp changes?

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Did you read the back of the algea remover? A lot of times it says not to use with "scale-less" animals. If thats the case, it was the algea remover that did it.

Try to avoid using chemicals like that, most of the time you don't need them and there is a more natural way to get rid of stuff.

Sorry for your loss

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Most likely culprits of your fish death:
The algae eliminator---never use that stuff, especially if you have either a fish that eats algae in the tank like a pleco or if you have a scaleless fish
Not using dechlorinator when you did a cleaning of your tank and added water back in
You changed too much of the water which caused an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spike
The water temp of the water in the tank was drastically different from that of the water you added which caused the pleco to go into shock and he never really recovered----btw pkremer is right plecos don't like the cold water that goldfish are generally kept in

basically we need to know whether you were using a tank heater, whether you added dechlorinator when you added the water, how much of the tank water you changed, what other chemicals you have put in the tank, and what your water parameters are---if possible
Then we can narrow it down

Tags
pleco, plecos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com