Plecostomus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tramsthaler

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks, I have a large Pleco that is about 3 years old. I bring him from the outside pond into an aquarium for the winter. He is about 10 inches long. Last year he did okay but this year he does not seem to eat the algae pellets I put in the aquarium. I am worried he is not going to make it until spring. The pellets just fall apart on the bottom of the tank. Should I worry about him not eating?

Try feeding him some shrimp tablets too. As they get larger they are more carnivore than herbivore

Here's a chance to show off your pleco creds, Charlie. I have an apparently healthy white pleco. It has two appendages just forward of its pectorals. They're sort of spooky looking. These things look like vestigial hands with thin, slighty moveable fingers. They only appear when he goes to his "feed me Keith!" corner of the tank. Otherwise they're invisible. He's at about 2 inches. Have either you or Tram seen these on your plecos?

Here's a chance to show off your pleco creds, Charlie. I have an apparently healthy white pleco. It has two appendages just forward of its pectorals. They're sort of spooky looking. These things look like vestigial hands with thin, slighty moveable fingers. They only appear when he goes to his "feed me Keith!" corner of the tank. Otherwise they're invisible. He's at about 2 inches. Have either you or Tram seen these on your plecos?
You have a limbless axolotl

No! That's funny. There are so many species of pleco now, it's crazy. I have a big nasty poop machine common, a bn, and a clown

No! That's funny. There are so many species of pleco now, it's crazy. I have a big nasty poop machine common, a bn, and a clown

I'll try to get a pic for you guys, so that you can be twitched by the situation too, Does the large variety cause some of them to be numbered instead of named in the classic sense? I've noticed the "L" as well in some cases. A buddy of mine had a large common, about two feet. His tank was medium sized and utterly bare. Every time I saw the pleco he was trailing a turd that was almost as long as he was. :oops:

Haha! Mine has some so long I have to break them into pieces with the gravel siphon tube so they'll go up. Poop machine. Yeah, most I see are L214 etc. There are so really beautiful ones

Have you noticed that attractiveness is associated with price when it comes to plecos? Just like discus. It depends, but I can't see a $300 fish.

Haha! Well, either way, your right. I don't want a $300 fish either. I'd cry and drink for a week if I killed it
Still have my $100 pleco. 2nd fish I ever bought, 6 years ago. L-134. Thing hides 99% of the time, I see it once every few months like ohh yah, cool.

Not to mention having the wife giving me that "What did YOU do wrong!" sort of look. I got the full treatment for 3-days for loosing an orange blossom cichlid under mysterious circumstances.:facepalm:

Not to mention having the wife giving me that "What did YOU do wrong!" sort of look. I got the full treatment for 3-days for loosing an orange blossom cichlid under mysterious circumstances.:facepalm:
Haha! I totally get that. Mine tells me all the time I better not kill her discus or green terror. Like I pour soapy bleach in the tank or something. Lol.

Still have my $100 pleco. 2nd fish I ever bought, 6 years ago. L-134. Thing hides 99% of the time, I see it once every few months like ohh yah, cool.
Just looked that one up. Leopard frog pleco. Cool looking! I'd like to get one of those spotted ones, one day. Galaxy i think...??

Back
Top Bottom