Plecostomus and Acrylic Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bhunsucker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a new (used) acrylic tank that I'm looking at stocking options. Will the Plecostomus scratch my acrylic tank? I've read somewhere that they could but I can not verify it that is true or not.

Thanks for your help.

I would doubt a pleco could scratch up the acrylic. Mine has happily chomped all over the plastic inlet tube in my tank without the slightest mark, and it's much softer plastic than the acrylic used for tanks. The main problem with Pleco's is making sure they aren't going to outgrow the tank. Mine is just a tiny baby at 4" long right now, the adults are in the pond out back and pushing 14-16" easily.

there are smaller pleco species.. BN's being one..
I have never heard of this before (pleco's possibly scratching up acrylic) If I had more experience with acrylic I would give you an answer.. but I dont.. I do hear its very easy to scratch compared to glass though..

I had a pleco in an acrylic tank and it didn't scratch the sides at all. It was a common pleco. I had to transfer him to a pond due to his growing size though.

I've never seen it happen. I had one in my 5 gal tank for a few weeks and he clutched onto that glass but never left a scratch. The only thing they really do is suck on the glass, not really scraping anything on it.

Back
Top Bottom