Plecostomus has bloated stomach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or cook some broccoli stem and drop that in, it helps mine poop, not that he needs much help lol ;)

Jeez, I don't need to add any broccoli then. Sometimes I think my pleco in the only one pooping in the tank because it's everywhere.

The peas are a good idea, but I'd say the driftwood will help the most. Some people say that it is required to have driftwood in there for them. I find most of my drift wood around the lakes near my house, but there are websites online that sell it.

What about intestinal worms, that's how I lost bichir no2 absolutely gutting! Looks fine feeds fine was bloated around the stomach then it went belly up. For good. The first one jumped ship, so I made sure number two couldn't escape. That was my first experience of internal bacteria issues with fish, now they get wormed once a year, because I can't see what's going on inside. Just like my dog gets wormed. Internal bacteria treatment should be something to consider, and I agree with the bio load statements previously mentioned. Big fish big waste, a massive filter system will help. That is where bio load is dealt with, and common sense on tank size, common rule is 10 times length of fish = tank length for active species and about 6 times for sedentary ones. Allow plenty of turning space because Plecostomus sp. normally grow BIG. Provide a picture please.

I was reading that epsom salt can stop bloat sometimes. Is this safe for a freshwater fish such as the Plecostomus? or could epsom salt harm him more?

Ok, now I am lost. He was not bloated last night at all, and when I got up this morning, he was badly bloated, and again floating under the bridge. The bloat goes away during the day, and comes back through the night. Does anyone know what this means?

Are you sure its a male pleco? females often get very fat with eggs when they are ready to lay them.

Are you sure its a male pleco? females often get very fat with eggs when they are ready to lay them.
He has been bloated for a week. Can females be pregnant before giving birth for that long? Also, he does not have a mate.

It's a possibility, but likely a remote one. Especially if there isn't a mate for it. What is the complete list of food that you feed the tank? Whats the temperature of the tank?

Bloat can also be caused by an infection so that is another possibility.

Females can lay the eggs even if there is not a male around, they just won't be fertilized. How else would they get rid of the growing amount of eggs? If he/she's been bloated for so long, eggs really aren't the issue.

Females can lay the eggs even if there is not a male around, they just won't be fertilized. How else would they get rid of the growing amount of eggs? If he/she's been bloated for so long, eggs really aren't the issue.

I agree. It is the same in many other animals :)

It's a possibility, but likely a remote one. Especially if there isn't a mate for it. What is the complete list of food that you feed the tank? Whats the temperature of the tank? Bloat can also be caused by an infection so that is another possibility.
I feed him an algae wafer weekly, and on Tuesday I fed him a blanched cucumber slice, and have been feeding him about 5 peas a day. I have changed his water twice since last week, but nothing seems to be helping. The temp is always 76 - 78 degrees, except in the summer where it is around 80. Also, as I said, his bloat is fluctuating. Last night he wasn't bloated, and all day today he has been. Please help! Thanks!

P.S. Is it safe to use some Epsom salt to help stop the bloat? I read that some people have done that.

I feed him an algae wafer weekly, and on Tuesday I fed him a blanched cucumber slice, and have been feeding him about 5 peas a day. I have changed his water twice since last week, but nothing seems to be helping. The temp is always 76 - 78 degrees, except in the summer where it is around 80. Also, as I said, his bloat is fluctuating. Last night he wasn't bloated, and all day today he has been. Please help! Thanks!

P.S. Is it safe to use some Epsom salt to help stop the bloat? I read that some people have done that.

Is there evidence of faecal matter, if there is any white string portions (looks like the skin on a sausage) to it it is an internal parasite or bacteria, it should be stringy and dark but not long lengths all over the tank.

His waste is very minimal, and fairly light in color, but I can't quite call it white.

I attached a pic of him

Attachments

• image-3264725879.jpg
    image-3264725879.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 115
His waste is very minimal, and fairly light in color, but I can't quite call it white.

I attached a pic of him

It should be dark brown. All loricariidae I've kept have had dark faeces.
I've kept Hypostomus sp. Gibbiceps, L128, L030 and now I have ancistrus.
Have you de wormed it? What size is it.

He is about 2 inches. I do not know what deworming is. Can you inform me more on it?
Thank you

All animals are capable of getting intestinal worms. Cats dogs horses and fish.
Fish store can provide the meds. Internal bacteria and internal parasite.
These are two things you cannot easily see on or in a fish.
This is why we quarantine new stock to avoid contaminating all the creatures we have learned to love.
Treat the system, follow instructions to the letter. Once complete you should have no more problems. I do this annually on all of my tanks, I treat and check new fish as a safety precaution, even if they look fine. A fish may look fine but be carrying a host of diseases especially if it is wild caught. Most shops run a system where multiple tanks share the same water. It is usually divided into, marine, brackish, pH neutral, hard and soft water species. That's 5 systems. Any fish in each system may have any number of things. Some things like coral and plants have there own independent set ups.

Ok, so if it is worms, what could I do to fix that? Is that something Epsom salt could help with?
Also, if I were to get meds, what exactly would I be looking for?

Back
Top Bottom