Plecostomus has bloated stomach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, so if it is worms, what could I do to fix that? Is that something Epsom salt could help with?
Also, if I were to get meds, what exactly would I be looking for?

The boxes are usually labelled simply, anti internal bacteria, anti internal parasite, white spot treatment etc etc.

Ok, I will look for that. For the time being, could Epsom salt help with internal parasites?

Ok, I will look for that. For the time being, could Epsom salt help with internal parasites?

I would like to say yes, but plecs are very intolerant of salt. It would probably do more harm to your fish. I've never treated my tanks with salt due to the amount of plecos in each.

I would like to say yes, but plecs are very intolerant of salt. It would probably do more harm to your fish. I've never treated my tanks with salt due to the amount of plecos in each.

I would like to point out that epsom salt is just called a salt because of its grain rather than any actual properties in it. There's no sodium in it but rather its just MgSO4 which is Magnesium Sulfate; it's perfectly safe for salt intolerant critters.

Ok, here is what I have Done recently:
On Monday and Tuesday, I fed him peas with Epsom salt rubbed into them to attempt an end to constipation.
I did nothing on Wednesday or Thursday, and today I added Meracyn 2 to the tank, thinking it is dropsy. He seems to be doing better, and it is only the first day, so hopefully this will fix the problem. Thanks for your concern! :thanks: :fish2: :)

This is the simple explanation of why.

I would like to point out that epsom salt is just called a salt because of its grain rather than any actual properties in it. There's no sodium in it but rather its just MgSO4 which is Magnesium Sulfate; it's perfectly safe for salt intolerant critters.

Epsom salt is the market name for hydrated MgSO4 and adding 1 milliliter of it per 10 liters of water will increase the permanent hardness by roughly 70 mg/L CaCO3.
Salt should only be added to treat certain conditions, stress reduction associated with physical damage and/or high nitrate, hydra control, ulcer disease and aids in the removal of leeches.
I tried to discourage the use of salt because it ticks none of the above boxes.
I can't see how the fish will benefit? Salt of any kind will affect water balance, predominately (95%) water is made from 8 ions, - charge C, SO4, CO3, HCO3 & + charge Ca, Mg, Na, K.
There are 70+ trace elements to make up the rest of the "water" (5%)
The relative concentration of these ions determines hardness and salinity, hardness has a direct link with pH.
Addition of any of these major ions will affect the chemical balance of the water without any question of doubt. From the evidence provided earlier in the thread it would appear this fish is not producing enough correctly coloured faecal matter, this is not right for this family of fish, when they "go" it is clearly evident and abundant.
Ask surfer who has myriad plecs, I have kept five different species from 4 subfamilies.
This fish is potentially wild caught or has been kept with wild caught specimens. Most if not all wild fish carry bacteria and parasites that among other things can also effect buoyancy and the digestive tract. As the family Loricariidae has a really long digestive tract to deal with all that vegetable matter, bacteria here can release a gas, leading to floatation issues. That is my opinion, backed up by a great deal of research, not only on this family of fish but also concerning water chemistry and parasitic and bacterial infection in fish and the treatment of such ailments.

Edit- Mg is magnesium, an alkaline earth metal, So4 is sulfate, sulfate is a "salt" of sulphuric acid.

Combined you get MgSo4. Magnesium sulphate.

J hit it right on the nail. To further prove this, all common plecos are wild caught, whether it be from Florida or SA. In the wild, a wide variety of parasites and bacteria can effect fish, and it's normal. In transit, a whole other host of issues can arise. Finally, even though common plecs are hardy, that can be a downfall. They will let you know there is a problem long after it started.

Nutrient deficiencies can cause problems as well. I'm fairly sure you're still feeding him wardley wafers. These are borderline useless for keeping a fish healthy.

My input on the common plecostomus profile.

As this is the common plec profile it needs to be said that each river in South America has a common plec associated with it, there are numerous species that fall under the category "common" as they are common to that river system. Each common grows to a different size, with possibly some quite different care requirements to the common plec in the river next door. There are hundreds of river systems throughout South America.

This was copied directly from the common plecostomus profile. This is the fish? In question. It is also more than relevant here.

Thanks to my brother from another mother, this guy (surfer) knows about this family. Possibly way more than I do. I believe he exclusively deals with loricariidae.

Edit-further to the above, the L system was devised as a way of mapping where each plecostomus comes from as similar looking species can be found in river systems of different parameters regarding mean Temperature and pH. This should also include turbidity and flow in order to be accurate.

Well, I am done with giving him Meracyn, and I am happy to say that it worked! His stomach is as thin as it always was! I just gave him a packet of Meracyn on the first day, and then a half a packet each day after, until today, which is when I was supposed to end the 5 day cycle. He is perfectly thin, and he is also pooping again! (Disgusting to say, but also good for the fish.) Thank you all very much for your concern, and I am sure that my fish, Google would thank you too!
-Plecostomus129

Well, I am done with giving him Meracyn, and I am happy to say that it worked! His stomach is as thin as it always was! I just gave him a packet of Meracyn on the first day, and then a half a packet each day after, until today, which is when I was supposed to end the 5 day cycle. He is perfectly thin, and he is also pooping again! (Disgusting to say, but also good for the fish.) Thank you all very much for your concern, and I am sure that my fish, Google would thank you too! -Plecostomus129

So glad he's better :) and pooping...... Wish mine wouldn't poop for a day or so ! Lol...

Well, I am done with giving him Meracyn, and I am happy to say that it worked! His stomach is as thin as it always was! I just gave him a packet of Meracyn on the first day, and then a half a packet each day after, until today, which is when I was supposed to end the 5 day cycle. He is perfectly thin, and he is also pooping again! (Disgusting to say, but also good for the fish.) Thank you all very much for your concern, and I am sure that my fish, Google would thank you too!
-Plecostomus129

Thanks for the update, glad to have helped, another proud moment.

I agree with canary bird, just one day off!
Thank you for the thank you! Means a lot!
(y)

I can't believe the peas didn't work.... they work for me :D

In the UK, we can't buy antibiotic treatments without a veterinary prescription! Good to hear your fish is ok

I can't believe the peas didn't work.... they work for me :D

In the UK, we can't buy antibiotic treatments without a veterinary prescription! Good to hear your fish is ok

Nutter! Good to see you mate! All meds available, like I said when was the last time you was in a fish shop!

P.s. Like the gags, made me laugh, cheers!(y)

What antibiotics can you buy then?

My man ordered me in octozin today specially, as Saturday would have been too late, normally stocked, all basic meds are now available, ich anti bacs, parasites internal external and crustacean plus a bunch of bottles for god knows what.
Mixazin formalin etc. etc.
Put down the paintbrush and get to the store! Have a go its great fun!

Mate, none of them are antibiotic.

I treated some carp at the fish farm using antibiotics and although we got it from a vet it wasn't, erm, strictly legal! That was 2 years ago.

Myxazin, if I remember correctly, uses malachite (banned in fish farming about 4 years ago although not for aquatics trade!) and formalin

Octozin is a copper treatment is it not? We sell JBL products, one of which contains Praziquantal (dog wormer!), which is only just legal, lol. due to changes in the labelling!

Back
Top Bottom