Plumb FX5 into Bulkheads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshenanagins

Aquarium Advice Addict
In the future I will be setting up a 210 that is drilled with two overflows but with a turtle Ive decided its not the best route and after just recently flooding my basement due to my own stupidity the last thing I want is for something to go wrong with the sump. So, has anyone plumbed an external canister to a drilled tank?

In the future I will be setting up a 210 that is drilled with two overflows but with a turtle Ive decided its not the best route and after just recently flooding my basement due to my own stupidity the last thing I want is for something to go wrong with the sump. So, has anyone plumbed an external canister to a drilled tank?

Anyone? Lol someone has to have done this or at least contemplated it. I thought it would be an excellent idea. Prefer to keep the overflows but not risking another flood.

I'm sure the old guy at Home Depot can help you out. Finding the oldest one there who isn't crazy.

You mean the one with the crazy eye? No he's an idiot and knows NOTHING. Haha associate there are not helpful at all. Prob better off going to my LFS

I want to do the same thing! My tank only has one bulkhead, but it means I can't fill my tank right up. I want to either use it for my canister or find a way to plug it. If I find any info I'll share :)

The fluval tanks are set up to run this way, you just connect the hoses directly to the bulkheads. The only issue I can think of is if you're going to run a lower water level due to it being set up for turtles is the built in overflow may become a waterfall unless you extend the return lines down to the water level your running at

The fluval tanks are set up to run this way, you just connect the hoses directly to the bulkheads. The only issue I can think of is if you're going to run a lower water level due to it being set up for turtles is the built in overflow may become a waterfall unless you extend the return lines down to the water level your running at

My tank is full to the brim. I'm building an above tank basking area behind the tank. It's going to be 6x3 for her to get up and out and travel around. So your saying keep the overflow boxes and just connect the bulkheads to the canister?

If you plumb a fx5 into a overflow won't it get air trapped in it

So I would have to remove the towers in order for it to work your saying? Because it comes with two in tank overflow towers. So I guess once the water lowers to the drain in the overflow it will allow air to get sucked in. Since a sump doesn't rely on pressure that's why it's not an issue. Is there any way to combat this without removing the towers? The greatest issue I think will be when water begins to evaporate but the overflow has slits in the middle and bottom as well so I don't think it will?

Just use normal fx5 drain pipe place it in lower in the overflow box then pump water back into the tank like normal

Fill in the overflow pipes

This way you won't see the drain pipe of the fx5

Back
Top Bottom