Plumbing on my 90gal Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok... it seems the more research I do the more questions I come up with. Today's question is on the plumbing of the tank. I have now seen ppl setup there tanks by drilling holes in the bottom of the tank and running their filters though that instead of the standard over the back.

What do you guys think... is it work the extra work? The tank I bought is acrylic so drilling shouldn't be that hard, (at least I am hoping) and I am going to be using can filters.

Advise?

Any distance above the water increases resistance the pump has to overcome. You have to decide if you want to bear the pain of drilling something so spankin' new. It may not matter so much now- but wait till your pump loses that 30 day peak effiency. Has any one heard of airlock? Not with drilled. Use a low voltage cordless drill, with a small amount of water in the tank, for cooling, and lubrication-tadah! A bulkhead fitting and your done. You better know what you are doing. (SAFETY) :!:

If you want to grow plants in a mid to high light tank, you're going to get algae. And you can use a razor on glass, but not on acrylic. Just my opinion, tho shared by many. On the other hand, Hoy G. Nguyen had a 75 gallon acrylic tank and has had great success with it. But I think he got an acrylic because it was free, not because it was easier to maintain. But I would go glass at this point if you still can. Because algae is a serious issue in planted tanks for sure and that's one less thing to have to mitigate. Here's Hoa's website if your interested: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/index.html
HTH, :) Bob

Back
Top Bottom