PO'ed rainbow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishalicious

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I went out and bought three gorgeous boesmans this evening. It appears that one is female and two are male. Gotta find some more females! Anyway, prior to these three coming in, it was only 6 zebra danios, 2 ottos, and a gorgeous lake tebera (yellow) rainbowfish. Well this yellow rainbow is very active and outgoing and I love him and he didn't seem to be bothered about being the only rainbow in the tank. So of course, I was curious as to see how he would react when I introduced the boesmans tonight.

He seems to be okay, just making it obvious to them that it was his house before theirs. I noticed this very large very bright white stripe going across the top of his head. I've seen it come out when he was excited but never this large or this bright. Also he has been twitching a real lot. Like really fast spazms. I know its not my water params because I checked them before I went out to buy these new guys. I think he may either be really excited (maybe horny?), or really pissed off.

Is this activity normal for rainbows?

Also, off topic but I recieved a free 30 gallon today from a co worker. I'm thinking about putting sand in it. Would a pair of convicts be okay with sand? Or do they require gravel?

Let me know and TIA!
-Dan

hahahaha

would I miss out on any interesting convict habits though?
(other than just sex?)

I'm getting about 75lbs worth of beige estes sand from a 75 gallon I'm driving to NY to pick up tomorrow. I'm taking out that sand b/c I'm most likely going to be housing a Red Devil (or Midas) in it and I want it to have thick gravel so it can dig alot. I'll have alot of extra sand. Thats why I'm thinking about putting it in the 30 gallon.

Any good recommendations for a 30 gallon anyone?
I'm looking for an attractive, personable fish.

-Dan

Not sure if you do this when you introduce new fish or not but it is always good to move decorations and such around and leave the lights off the first night you have the new fish in.. This gives them all a chance to settle down not stress as much and in the morning establish new territory... Sounds like your Yellow maybe threatened by the territory it had already established.. Likely the Bosemani's will try to own the tank as they outnumber the yellow....

Mooose

Back
Top Bottom