Poison Gas?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've read now in a few threads about poison gas due to air stones or poison gas being released when redoing tank and stirring up substrate.

Poison gas? Can someone explain please?

Thanks,
Convict

Not sure exactly but I run my fingers through the sand every other water change to prevent that. Sorry I can't be more scientific.

joel618 said:
Not sure exactly but I run my fingers through the sand every other water change to prevent that. Sorry I can't be more scientific.

No worries. Someone will chime in I'm sure. I'm gonna google it also. Poison gas. I don't like the sound of that.

Usually seen in deep sand beds. Down at the bottom, where there is no oxygen, anaerobic bacteria form. These bacteria turn nitrates into regular old nitrogen. "Yay!" you might say. But there is a downside, they also produce toxic gases which can build up. Some people say it's no big deal as when it's released it instantly turns not harmful, others have reported mass extinctions.

Hopefully some smarter folks than I will expound on this subject more for you.

Search "deep sand bed" for more info.

The poisonous gas is hydrogen sulfide. DSB are not as common in FW, but some people still use them.

Take the proper precautions and it's a non-issue.

And I've never heard of issues with using an airpump.

The poisonous gas is hydrogen sulfide. DSB are not as common in FW, but some people still use them.

Take the proper precautions and it's a non-issue.

And I've never heard of issues with using an airpump.

what are the precautions you should take?

There are snails that will stir up the sand (MTS I think?). You can also manually agitate it. I'm a fan of chopsticks for that purpose.

Ok so... For gravel this is a non issue? I have a Cichlid sand base covered with natural gravel. Do I need to do anything? I have 2 air stones also.

IME it's nothing to worry about. I see bubbles rising from my substrate daily (have a 8 or so month old dirt substrate with gravel and sand cap). Some bubbles sink like rotten eggs and I've never lost a fish.

IME it's nothing to worry about. I see bubbles rising from my substrate daily (have a 8 or so month old dirt substrate with gravel and sand cap). Some bubbles sink like rotten eggs and I've never lost a fish.

eww nasty, and ima bust out some chopsticks anyway haha

Mumma.of.two said:

What took ya so long? I'm not really worried about it. :)

Back
Top Bottom