poly-fill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klc9100

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have been reading alot about "poly-fill". supposedly it polishes the water and makes it extremely clear. has anyone here used it? if soo, how does it work? i have emperor 400 filters, if i were to try it, where in the filter would the poly-fill go?

thanks -
kevin

I have and it does work.
I used polyester batting. 2 ways to do it with your filter.
Sandwich it inside your extra media containers or do like I did.
I took my carbon filters out, ditched the carbon and cut off the cloth part. I rapped the batting around the plastic frame that was left and inserted it back into the filter. My tank was crytal clear the next morning.
I keep Fluval Biomax noodles in my extra media containers.

I have and it does work.
I used polyester batting. 2 ways to do it with your filter.
Sandwich it inside your extra media containers or do like I did.
I took my carbon filters out, ditched the carbon and cut off the cloth part. I rapped the batting around the plastic frame that was left and inserted it back into the filter. My tank was crytal clear the next morning.
I keep Fluval Biomax noodles in my extra media containers.

so you don't use carbon at all? where did you get your polyfill?

I usually do but you really don't need it,
I got it at Joann fabric.

that's why i was asking where you got it. i had read that you can get the same thing the pet store is gonna sell you far cheaper at a fabric shop or even walmart. what exactly did you ask for? do they call it polyfill?

since i'm running 2 400's, i have 4 media containers. i was thinking of maybe filling two of them with carbon/white diamond mix and the other two with the polyfill. do you think that would work, or would no carbon and all polyfill work better?

I got a big bag at joann's also. I've been using the same bag for a year and a half now. It was about $6 or so. I don't run any carbon in my filters, I run an AquaClear 50 in my 30g and an AquaTech 5-10g (came with walmart kit) on my 10g, with just the polyfiber. Water is always clear, I just rinse the polyfiber out with tank water every time I do a PWC.

Edit: Just make sure it is unscented and contains no chemicals.

yeah, i use it in my HOB filters, i just stick a gob in where the insert goes. it works great.

The only reason you really ever need carbon is if your tank gets contaminated with some chemical or heavy metal or to get rid of meds after treating. The only reason I even used carbon in my Emperor was because I have a whole bunch of extra cartridges I got a deal on.

The only reason you really ever need carbon is if your tank gets contaminated with some chemical or heavy metal or to get rid of meds after treating. The only reason I even used carbon in my Emperor was because I have a whole bunch of extra cartridges I got a deal on.

thanks everyone. i went by walmart on my way home yesterday and got a big piece of poly-fill batting. it was like a 30 sq. ft. piece for $6. i cut 4 pieces the size of my media containers and sandwiched them in there. my water wasn't crystal clear this morning, but it could definately tell an improvement. i'm wondering now if i should have put 2 pieces in each container, or folded it over, making it double thick. i wonder if that would help even more???

Back
Top Bottom