Polypterus senegalus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snake_Eyes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm getting ready to setup my 55gal. aquarium in the next couple days, earlier tonight I went and purchased a albino Polypterus senegalus so that will be one of the fish that will be occupying the aquarium. Do you think there would be any problem keeping a needlefish of similar size with the birchir? I've kept them(needlefish) before and from what noticed they don't seem to be aggressive towards other fish... besides feeders of course. :wink:

Thanks. :)

well most birchirs are semi agressive, but even then most fish that are semi agressive don't act it when the right enviorment is presented and water parameters, I don't see a problem

The one thing I know about bichirs is they will eat anything that fits in their mouth. We used to have a member that kept many bichirs. Every so often he would complain that such-and-such fish was eaten because he didn't believe it would fit in the bichirs’ mouth yet. (and I remembered something else—they are escape artists!)
tropicfishman said:
even then most fish that are semi agressive don't act it when the right enviorment is presented and water parameters
Fish that evolved to be aggressive will be aggressive regardless of their environment. After all, they evolved in an environment that was "perfect" for them and they are still aggressive. One thing you cannot take from a fish regardless of environment is their natural opportunistic nature. If there is an easy meal, they will eat it; that has nothing to do with aggression.

Snake_Eyes, hopefully some bichir owners will give more advice on compatible tank mates.

When I asked about tankmates for my Senegals on a another forum that deals in Pred type fish this was the list I was given. I ended up getting 2 African leaf fish, 4 Dwarf Gouramis and 2 Clown loaches. But I have a 75 gallon tank. Won't a needlefish get to big for a 55?

If they stay similar sizes throughout their existence they should be fine. But if one grows quicker than the other they will become food. My senegals have doubled in size since dec 05 from 3 inches to 6-7 inches.

Tankmates
Below is a partial list of possible tankmates for the small to midsized bichirs species.Parameters I used are based on size, temperment and availabilty . And i believe is a good starting point for you to do further research before purchasing -Anne

CATFISH
Dusky Pimelodid-Pimelodus blochii
Giraffe Catfish-Auchenoglanis occidentalis
Dwarf giraffe Catfish-Parauchenoglanis macrostoma
Giant Whiptail Catfish-Sturisoma aureum
Synodontis alberti
Synodontis angelicus
Synodontis pleurops
Synodontis decorus
Synodontis eupterus
Synodontis notatus
Synodontis brichardi
Synodontis nigrita
Synodontis flavitaeniata
Synodontis soloni
Liver Catfish-Heteropneustes fossilis
Black Lancer-Bagrichthys hypselopterus
PLECOS
Bristlenose-Ancistrus dolichopterus
CHARACINS
Silver dollar-Metynnis argenteus
Distichodus notospilus-Distichodus notospilus
Congo tetra-Phenacogrammus interruptus
Black-Barred Myleus-Myleus schomburgki
Filament tetra-Bryconaethiop microstoma
EELS
Peacock Eel- Macrognathus aculeatus
CICHLIDS *(see note)
Lifalili Jewel Cichlid- Hemichromis lifalili
Dicus-Symphysodon discus
Angelfish-Pterophyllum ssp.
Two-Spot Cichlid-Cichlasoma bimaculatum
Tilapia joka-Tilapia joka
Oscar-Astronotus ocellatus
Severum-Cichlasoma severum
Kribensis- Pelvicachromis pulcher
Sparkling Earth Eater-Satanoperca acuticeps
Blue acara-Aequidens pulchrus
Balzani's Earth Eater-Gymnogeophagus balzanii
Blood Parrot Cichlid-Hybrid no scientifc name
Blue-Eye Cichlid-Cichlasoma spilurum
Festivum-Mesonauta festivus
African Peacock Cichlid-Aulonocara nyassae
Balzani's Earth Eater-Gymnogeophagus balzanii
Bandit Cichlid-Aequidens geayi
Blockhead Cichlid-Steatocranus casuarius
Callolepis Cichlid-Cichlasoma callolepis
Freiberg's Peacock Cichlid-Aulonocara jacobfreibergi
Keyhole Cichlid-Cleithracara maronii
Port Acara-Aequidens portalegrensis
Uaru- Uaru amphicanthiodes
LABYRINTH FISHES
Ctenopoma .acutirostre-Ctenopoma .acutirostre
Ctenopoma oxyrhynchus-Ctenopoma oxyrhynchus
Ctenopoma kingsleyae-Ctenopoma kingsleyae
CYPRINIDS
Variegated Shark-Labeo variegatus
Bala Shark-Balantiocheilos melanopterus
Red-Finned Cigar Shark-Leptobarbus hoevenii
Red-linned torpedo barb-Puntius denisonii
Tinfoil Barb-Barbodes schwanefeldii
Chinese Algae Eater-Gyrinocheilus aymonieri
Clown Loach-Botia macracantha
MISC.
African mudfish-Phractolaemus ansorgei
Black Ghost Knifefish -Apteronotus albifrons
Elephantnose-Gnathonemus petersii
African butterfly-Pantondon bucholzi
African Knifefish-Xenomystus nigri

(*note :to avoid agression do not have breeding pairs )

Thanks for the recommendations, I think I remember reading your post on tankmates. Needlefish are said to reach a max length of 12 inches same as the bichir and they both have the same "they'll eat whatever they can fit in their mouths" so I was hoping they would be able to put with one another, the only problem I see is that the needlefish are really thin and could possibly get eaten. :)

Well I am no longer going to be setting up my 55 gal. It seems that almost the entire bottom of the stand is warped. :evil:

Honestly I never thought about until after I found/joined this board, I never have in the past, I always allowed the tank to sit for a few days before adding fish but never to the extent that is recommended here. I had the bichir on hold for me at Petsmart until I got my tank set up but now with my stand the way it is I'm going to go and get my money back or get store credit or something.

hey ! im thinking of buying a bichir senegalus . about 4 inches long . can i have it with 8 goldfishes as a tank mates ? also , i have a 6 inch catfish and two plecos . can that happen that the bichir would eat it ? well , my friend got tons of other fishes living with his bichir .pls reply back

I've kept Polypterids in the past and their behavior has always been more 'I will eat what I can' and not really 'I'm mean so I'm going to beat up fish". I've kept them with all kinds of cichlids, medium to large catfish, and some other oddballs. Just make sure its tankmates can't fit in its rather large mouth, because even smaller speedy fish will eventually get eaten as the bichirs are capable of very sudden bursts of speed though they aren't great swimmers.

Back
Top Bottom