pond snail control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an infestation of pond snails, and need some advice on how to get rid of them. I have tried feeding less, and it didn't help.

Feed even more less. They won't just go away, but they'll stop the overpopulation. Then, manual removal. I have pond snails in all my tanks, they've NEVER been an issue... but I only feed once every 2-3 days.

just smash them against the glass when you see them, they'll go away in time with feeding control as MFD said. Cutting back on feeding has more of a long term result, since they lay large clutches of eggs, you could still see a large population boom even weeks after the feeding change, so don't expect it to work overnight.

animalzrok2 said:
sell/give them away. and then you also don't have to kill any

I don't like dishonesty, and imo selling a pest is dishonest.

mfdrookie516 said:
Feed even more less. They won't just go away, but they'll stop the overpopulation. Then, manual removal. I have pond snails in all my tanks, they've NEVER been an issue... but I only feed once every 2-3 days.

jetajockey said:
just smash them against the glass when you see them, they'll go away in time with feeding control as MFD said. Cutting back on feeding has more of a long term result, since they lay large clutches of eggs, you could still see a large population boom even weeks after the feeding change, so don't expect it to work overnight.

Thanks, I will do both things. I hope it works

I don't like dishonesty, and imo selling a pest is dishonest.

It's not dishonest, not everyone sees them as pests. They do a great job of algae control and eating waste in the tank, which helps water quality. If kept in check they are a great, I keep them in most of my planted tanks for this reason alone.

They also make great feeders, so people with fish like puffers love them and will actually buy them. I've sold pondsnail/bladder snails/ramshorns for around .10 each.

oh sorry,i don't think of them as pests. when i set up my breeding tank 1 of my plants had snail eggs on them. there all about 1 month old and though I'm not sure that there pond snails they keep my tank extremely clean.

Get a freshwater figure eight puffer and it will take care of the problem and any future problems. I even purposely throw in pond snails as a puffer snack

Alex55-20 said:
Get a freshwater figure eight puffer and it will take care of the problem and any future problems. I even purposely throw in pond snails as a puffer snack

I can't... Its a ten gallon tank, and it is stocked with mostly guppies right now... I also have a five gallon tank in there, but it has more guppies.

For the 5gal I would put the fish in a container with aquarium water then clean all decor, plants,and gravel. Then clean aquarium and all snail. Also you could dip decor in very hot water to kill all eggs. Also CLEAN FILTER REALLY WELL changing media. Then let plants sit in in treated water. Then put everything back . That worked for me.

No, clown loaches have absolutely no business in a 10g tank. They need a 4' tank minimum, and that's a little on the small side IMO. Another thing... never ever buy a fish/invert to take care of a problem. Only get them because you WANT them. Especially for something that proper feeding and a little extra work can take care of.

mfdrookie516 said:
No, clown loaches have absolutely no business in a 10g tank. They need a 4' tank minimum, and that's a little on the small side IMO. Another thing... never ever buy a fish/invert to take care of a problem. Only get them because you WANT them. Especially for something that proper feeding and a little extra work can take care of.

There was no post about clown loaches... I wa not planning on getting a fish to do a job anyways...

Clown loaches also eat snails. If your tank isn't big enough for a clown loach you can always buy one and sell it back.

EDIT: this would not be a permanent solution, I didn't realize it was only a 10 gallon tank. I didn't read the whole thread. No a clown loach has no business being in a 10 gallon. Cleaning the tank really well would help, removing them manually, and reducing feedings are all much much better suggestions.

mfdrookie516 said:
Yeah, it's funny how things can be edited... should have quoted it... it was there ;)

Oh. I never saw it... hmm... don't clown loaches get really big too?

Yeah, they get pretty big. I've got 3 in my 150... they're still small at about 4". They grow slow, but several sites say they'll reach a foot. Most people say 55g minimum, but as active as they are, I'd say 125 minimum for an adult fish.

Interestingly enough, my filter intake is acting as a snail trap... :) it almost got clogged with snails last night so I had to clean it out, but now there's one snail on it after one night.

Back
Top Bottom