Pool filter sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ringoffire

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone suggest what pool filter sand is recommended ? I just read on another thread that Quickrete pool filter sand, which is what I just bought at Home Depot, may possibly be too sharp for Cory catfish barbels. Luckily I haven't put it my tank yet. But does anyone know of a specific brand that is good? Is there different grades of sand?

Quickrete is what I have been using for as long as I can remember and ill always use it. No trouble with corys or bottom dwellers

Quickrete is what I have been using for as long as I can remember and ill always use it. No trouble with corys or bottom dwellers

I use quickcrete too and all my cories died within a year. Their barbels disappeared gradually. If you use it and your cories are fine….????

I like the PFS from Ace Hardware; about $12.99 for 50 lbs. They ship it to your nearest store. It's pretty clean, vry light tan, and settles quickly. I don't have Corys yet, but it seems like a nice sand.

I've been doing some reading and it seems the reason for the dissolving barbels is disease. Now I change my water every other day 75% BUT I do not vacuum since I would just vacuum up substrate. I think the surface of my sand became to full of bacteria from poop that affected the cories.

For those who use sand now, do you vacuum the surface? How often? Do you regularly remove the top layer because of algae and replace? Thanks!!!!

Vacuum about 1" from the sand surface to effectively remove any thing. You will still lose a few lighter sand particles as well but no biggy!!!

Vacuum about 1" from the sand surface to effectively remove any thing. You will still lose a few lighter sand particles as well but no biggy!!!

Thanks! I guess if I plan to have cories again, I'll need to vacuum the substrate.

Another good sand for cories is play sand. It has a lot finer grain and have used that with success as well. I stopped using it because it likes to float a bit longer then PFS

We'll I guess I'm gonna go ahead and use the Quickrete to set up my 55g. In the 10g where my Corys are now I do hover the vacuum over the surface of the sand so I'll just continue to due so in the 55g once they get moved over there. Hopefully all will be well.

Back
Top Bottom