pool filter sand, cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rudyard

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I'm a nooby...and it looks like I didn't read enough about using pool filter sand. I assumed it was already pretty clean stuff. So I went ahead and just put it in the tank without rinsing it first. Now, I have very cloudy water... So, my question is, do I need to start over? Just getting started. No fish yet. 55gal tank.

Welcome to AA, this is agreat place.

Give it a couple of days. The sand will settle. I have used pfs in 2 of my tanks. I did not rinse the sand prior and I did not suffer any of the cloudy water conditions. Next time put the sand in the tank. Place a plate on the bottom and fill the tank with the water going onto the plate. This will ease the flow going into the sand and will help to keep the sand in place.

Always wash substrate before putting it in the tank. There could be contaminates in it. I would do several large water changes just to be safe.

Thanks for the responses. I got industrious this morning and drained it and rinsed the sand. I could tell the difference right away and I'm glad I did it. Now after about 4 hours of filtering it's already looking great. Before, after 18 hours I still couldn't see all the way through the tank, now already I can watch tv through it! :)

Welcome to AA! Glad to hear you rinsed the sand out and it is clearing up. Pool filter sand is great substrate IMO. You will not regret that choice.

After I filled my 55G, I did a 75% water change, and filled back up. Then within 2 hours, my tank was clear. My 55G has pool filter sand as well. I love it. Now I have MTS on the way for it from someone on the forum here. They are sending them out this week, Tuesday I believe, so I should have them in a few days. :) Putting most of them in the 55G and a few in my 75G.

You will love the PFS once everything settles. My loaches love it too. :)

Welcome to AA. Happy to have you here!

Glad to hear it worked out for you in the end. Many of us at one point or time have done something the wrong way and it backfires. No worries though, at the beginning stages, its not of dire importance. Always be sure to take your time and learn about what your doing first, rather than spanking urself later when things are going bad. :D

Back
Top Bottom