Pool filter sand/substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charliebankston

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wanted to share a little anecdote for anybody looking for sand info. A little over a year ago I set up my 100g African cichlid tank. Used pool filter sand. Looked great. As my stocking increased i added more filtration, eventually having an internal power head on a small canister, 2 aquaclear 110's, a fluval 406, a sponge on air, and a sunsun 304b. Tank looked great. Over time the sand took its toll tho, killed the power head, and both of the 110s. I have since replaced the 3 dead filters with another internal canister, and a sunsun 302b. I also recently changed from sand to gravel. I've also lost 2 other power heads using them to do water changes in it. I secondarily found it really difficult to vacuum without losing a lot of sand in the tube. In conclusion, ime, I do not recommend a sand substrate for cichlids that like to dig, as there is always some unseen floating in the water column. Sand is cheap. Equipment, not so much, lol

It was hth brand. I loved the look, and when the tank was lightly stocked, no issues. But I have over 20, and at one time over 30, peacocks and haps, so several are constantly sifting sand. I think the issue is heavily stocked digging fish

I replaced the impeller on both 110s, then the motors quit. I replaced one motor, it's running like new again on a different tank. I finally got around to ordering some pre filter sponges for the intake tubes. But just decided to change over to gravel today anyway

I'm with you there. Had Cichlids over 35 years ago and up to 2 years ago and never used sand, just gravel because I was told they dig and yes... they do! Gravel is fun to hear them spitting it out against the glass though.

I'm with you there. Had Cichlids over 35 years ago and up to 2 years ago and never used sand, just gravel because I was told they dig and yes... they do! Gravel is fun to hear them spitting it out against the glass though.
Haha! Yeah it is! I have some big diggers. But they are solo. If I had sand in there with the solo guys (they all have gravel too) i don't think it'd be so much an issue because it's just one fish. Also, I notice that the s and central American cichlids move stuff around to suit their decorating styles. The Africans just constantly sift in the sand. Grab a mouthful and swim away dropping it in a trail behind them. There was prob always sand floating in there

Back
Top Bottom