Pool filter sand vs. Play sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the difference between these two?

I want to change substrates and Lowe's only carries play sand, but there is a pool shop locally.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Go with the pfs, the play sand is a pita to clean and I but to fine, can get sucked into the filter easier..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea I would to with pool filter sand, I use it in all my tanks. It's great.

May the force be with you.

I got mine at Home Depot.

I love pool filter sand! Now we need to determine why black pfs would be beneficial in pools so we can stop paying tons of money for black aquarium sand!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

PFS is the way to go. If you get good quality PFS it will be more uniform in size and require less washing.

I will say that it is getting harder and harder to find quality PFS. At least where I am.

I get a huge bag I can't remember the exact weight but it's enough to do several decent size tanks with for 5 bucks.

Is pool sand silica sand? I went to lowes and bought a 50lb bag of silica sand for 8 bucks. Still have 3/4 of bag left if anyone wants to fly to Boise and get it lol.

Black diamond blasting sand is around 8$ for a 50 lb bag. I found mine at tractor supply

FYI for ppl looking for black sand cheaper

Wad thinking about MTS when I made the swap to keep the sand tilled and to eat extra food, good idea or unnecessary?
I'll be switching to sand, re scaping, adding 5 angels and I'll be feeding them live platy fry.my gourami is pretty messy with flakes even with a feeding station, plenty goes down and almost immediately gets sucked into the filter, what the shark doesn't eat.

Wad thinking about MTS when I made the swap to keep the sand tilled and to eat extra food, good idea or unnecessary?
I'll be switching to sand, re scaping, adding 5 angels and I'll be feeding them live platy fry.my gourami is pretty messy with flakes even with a feeding station, plenty goes down and almost immediately gets sucked into the filter, what the shark doesn't eat.

You will need snails anyway to turn the sand up underneath the surface it keeps bacteria from growing and it helps plant growth.

May the force be with you

Black diamond blasting sand is around 8$ for a 50 lb bag. I found mine at tractor supply

FYI for ppl looking for black sand cheaper

I use black diamond on every one of my tanks. Whether it's an all sand bottom, or capping dirt with it. I've started to stay away from recommending it to people because I get chewed apart because "it's blasting sand, think of what it will do to the fish".......

Ummmm obviously by people who don't know what they are talking about. A lot of people use blasting sand

Ummmm obviously by people who don't know what they are talking about. A lot of people use blasting sand Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Blasting sand can be very fine in some cases which will be a problem, almost like a powder. I use a sand blaster in my shop, perhaps there is a thicker blasting sand?
I choose pool filter sand.

Blasting sand can be very fine in some cases which will be a problem, almost like a powder. I use a sand blaster in my shop, perhaps there is a thicker blasting sand?
Yes, not all blasting sand is suitable for aquarium use. What you want is a moderately course silica sand.

Back
Top Bottom