Poor Oto. May he rest in peace.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chasgood

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got the little fellow on Friday. Looked healthy to me in the lfs. He never did eat much. By Sunday he wasnt active at all. Tonight when I got home from work he was taking the eternal nap.

ph 7.6
ammonia 0.0
nitrite 0.0
nitrate 10.0ppm
All the other fish seem just fine.

I was afraid this might happen after reading up on them. What other algae eaters will eat the brown stuff and not get more than 3 or 4 inches long?

Don't give up on otos just yet. Once they've survived and adapted they make such good additions to an aquarium. The problem is (as you already know), quite a few won't survive captivity. What I would do is let the lfs have the waiting period and buy them after they've been there for 3 weeks.

When I have gotten them I check with the LFS and take a talley of how many they have lost from a particular shipment. Sometimes they tell me just to forget it and not buy any at all, suggesting I wait until the next batch. Then, like BrianNY mentioned, wait until they have been there in the store for a couple of weeks at least. Those tend to be remarkably hardy.

Sorry for your loss, chasgood, it's always so sad to lose a fish.

If you decide to try otos again, get 3 or 4, they seem to do better in groups. I originally had 2, one died shortly after I got him, like yours. The other one hid all the time, I never saw him. Then I got 3 more to keep him company, and he comes out a lot now. I love to watch them in the early morning when they're most active, all zipping around the tank. They're very cool fish.

Well I might give them another shot. Have to wait on another batch or try a different lfs. the brown algae is coating the plant leaves.and gravel pretty thick. Need to do something.

Try to find a pitbull pleco. They don't get much bigger than an oto and mine is a little eating machine. He never stops! And he's not shy or skittish like some of the larger plecos can be. He's always out in the open.

As for otos, I bought seven from one batch (four in one tank and three in another) that I've had for 8 or 9 months. I've twice tried adding to the 29 gallon tank and all the new ones have died off (some quick, some within a few weeks or so). So it really does pay to wait and see how long they last at the LFS before buying them.

Back
Top Bottom