Poor Pet Shop Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rhymeswithbear said:
So thats what that is! Someone gave me a bag full of aquarium stuff and I had no idea what the python was until now.... how do you set it up?

It should have some hardware to connect it to a facet.. there is an adapter that changes facet threads to garden hose type threads then the valve contraption connects to that.. you could look for instructions online....

The Tetra actually looks like a Blueberry tetra. I was unfortionate enough to have bought them, not nowing that they were painted. The lfs told me they weren't. Although, it appears that they are losing their color but it could be because they are in an un-cycled tank. Are they a light bluish color or have any coloration to them?

Yup, those would be Blueberry and Strawberry Tetras. I have found several stores that have told me that they are not painted, but they actually are. They are beautiful fish and when they are active they are fun to watch. Just don't buy any more of them.

I have heard some people claim these fish are injected with dye and if true that could shorten their life.

However I have also heard that these fish are produced by the feeding of special color enhancing foods. This supposedly doesn't hurt the fish and eventually(if the fish is no longer fed the right food) the coloring will wear off leaving you with a perfectly everday normal black skirt tetra.

Not sure which is true. Either way seems kind of silly. But while the first way is harmful silly the second way is just silly silly.

dyed fish can be diped in dye, striped of there slimecoat and diped in dye, injected with dye or a combination of the methods to achive the "desired" result. This kills alot of fish, and at best they will have been through a very painfull ordeal and live a somewhat full life were the dye will normaly fade away. I personaly will not buy fish from a LFS that I see sells dyed fish. They make it hard with the painted glass fish(injected)..

no.. food alone will not give them the effects that your seeing at the LFS.. the methods are much more drastic. :(

btw. I think there is a method called painting the dye on as well..

I was unaware that these fish were harmed in order to make them the color they are. They were on a list of starter fish we chose from. Is there any other species we should be on the look out for when deciding on tank mates for these ones?

Regards

Here is a dyed fish link.. I cant find the one that was posted a wile back in the FW General discussion but it had pictures of the fish.. you might what to serch for the topic in there..
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=72
the list of fish on this page is just injected fish.. the other link has different types of fish that are treated with dye and what methods are done to the fish..

Back
Top Bottom