Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Popcorn Brine Shrimp

I just wanted to share this with everyone as I thought it was a pretty cool way to feed brine shrimp to your fish. I came across it and had to try it and it works wonderfully.

If you have regular eggs, you decapsulate them using water and bleech after you hydrate them. Once decapsulted then they are ready for popping.

Take the eggs and fill a coffee cup about 2/3 full of water. Take up to 1/8 cup of decapsulted eggs, I only do 1 tablespoon at a time, and put them in the water. Microwave them for 2-5 minutes, I use 3 minutes for mine, and voila, popcorn brine shrimp eggs. They volume is actually 2-3x what is was before popping. The eggs stay suspended in the water column and all of my fish will spend 30 minutes finding every single one of them until they are gone. Even my mystery snails love them.

Before:

After:

Old 09-25-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thats pretty neat! I'll have to try it when I get a chance. Thanks for the input
Old 09-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've actually seen before that you can microwave the eggs to get them to pop like that but I've never tried it or seen the results of doing such a thing. I wonder if fry will go after that stuff just as readily as live ones.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #4

That is really cool, I am going to see if my Apisto fry will eat it.

What is the water to bleach ratio for decapsulating the eggs? Also what method do you use to rinse them or do you add dechlorinator to the mix?

Tags
brine shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com