Poppa's Tanks n Stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first people who bred fish didn't have anyone to learn from yet they succeeded so the hobby can still advance without us giving cheat sheets. :brows: This is after all, still a business and giving away all your secrets is not good for business. :whistle: That said, for those who want to learn and put in the time, there are mentors ( such as myself) that are willing to work with you. But that doesn't mean it's easy or even free. I've had to pay for every mentor I have had for everything except fish breeding because it was a family friend I learned from. Since then, I've NEVER had anyone offer to help me breed for free. :nono:

Oh I know, I get it. I'm not saying you can't succeed without someone explaining it all, or that everyone should explain all their secrets. I did breed rams (poorly) before I met any of you :whistle: And I appreciate all of the help! But I'm thinking of you Poppa and the fact that you're having trouble figuring out discus genetics because people don't want to share. On the one hand it would ruin the industry if everyone knew... but think how much we would know about discus genetics and crosses if everyone shared all. There's a balance in there somewhere, I think. All that said I really really appreciate all of you helping me and others here get started.

Brookster, I may as well be Andy on that site for all anyone knows about breeding angelfish there. I guess pygmy corydoras are too big for a 10 gallon but angelfish pairs are safe for community tanks? :nono: :nono::nono::nono:
This place really is the best fish place on the web except maybe the loaches.com forum :whistle:

Andy - this forum is like the Harvard of fish forums man.. im not even making a joke.
Edit - see, it's just sad..
Question: Can I House A Firemouth With - 213730
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just taking a quick gander at that thread, I don't think the 2 people talking realized they were talking about the same fish in a 3' long tank vs a 4' long tank.:facepalm: Of course it's got a better chance in the 4 footer. :whistle:

Yes, I believe more breeding and keeping information has been shared on this site. Truthfully, I don't go to many other sites to truly compare but I know breeders and what I have shared as well as CB and Poppa and others. It's more than most should expect IMO. I'm happy to do it to a point. Greed is not my motive but survival is. I recently got a lesson on what's happening with many fish farmers and they have basically screwed themselves into a house of cards. Yes, you are going to get cheap fish but not quality because they don't get enough per fish to put in the effort and I don't blame them. I've talked to my customers as for what they can pay for certain fish I want to breed. The bottom line, not enough. :( I couldn't do it indoors, under a controlled environment and still make a profit no matter how many I make or sell. ( And that's more info than I should have shared. :hide: )
But getting back to breeding, re Harvard, nobody goes there for free. Even with scholarships, Harvard gets paid. :brows:

You people are mean!!! 63 new posts to read in this thread alone and 14 other threads to read. I was only gone for 6 hours.

For sini and poppa

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for explaining that, andy. I was trying to figure out how to say it.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No problem. I'm at the point where I don't have to worry if I offend anyone.:eek::lol: But I'm hoping those here reading this understand that this is more than a hobby. The fact that we have lost so many Mom & Pop shops to big box stores shows that. That is the price we all pay for buying over the internet and not supporting them. So now we have to protect what we still have before it too goes the way of the local M & P shop.

Regarding Sini's post on figuring out the genetics, we don't have to do that. Hire a geneticist and let them go to town.:brows: So much has been written about the genetics of Angelfish yet there is still mostly crap on the market. You want to know the genetics of Discus, go back to the wild fish. That's their genetics. The rest is soup. :whistle: ;)

I just did a chemical analysis on that trophy... it's a fake, I can tell because it's made of SALT :brows:

Oooooooooohhhh! :dance:

so far............. ��

Not sure you can beat the loaches online forum ;)

And fair enough Andy. I'm grateful for what you all have given me, I truly am (and so is missgurnus). When I figure out the secret to captive breeding loaches I promise I'll tell you guys and ONLY you guys ;)

Salt from the tears of patriots fans. Remember who was there for Superbowl I??? I do. How bout dem Chieeeeeeeefs

I think we all have shared more breeding info here than most fish breeders do even to their best friends. :whistle: Breeding fish is an art and if everybody can do it as well as we do, there would be no money in doing it. :nono: Be grateful for what you get and you need to do what we all did: Trial and error. ;) We've given you the basics. That's more than most of us have gotten and enough to get you started. (y)

Just taking a quick gander at that thread, I don't think the 2 people talking realized they were talking about the same fish in a 3' long tank vs a 4' long tank.:facepalm: Of course it's got a better chance in the 4 footer. :whistle:

Yes, I believe more breeding and keeping information has been shared on this site. Truthfully, I don't go to many other sites to truly compare but I know breeders and what I have shared as well as CB and Poppa and others. It's more than most should expect IMO. I'm happy to do it to a point. Greed is not my motive but survival is. I recently got a lesson on what's happening with many fish farmers and they have basically screwed themselves into a house of cards. Yes, you are going to get cheap fish but not quality because they don't get enough per fish to put in the effort and I don't blame them. I've talked to my customers as for what they can pay for certain fish I want to breed. The bottom line, not enough. :( I couldn't do it indoors, under a controlled environment and still make a profit no matter how many I make or sell. ( And that's more info than I should have shared. :hide: )
But getting back to breeding, re Harvard, nobody goes there for free. Even with scholarships, Harvard gets paid. :brows:

^^THIS^^
In most forums and threads a breeding journal is at best a head count with pictures.
The detailed explanation offered here by the MLB is second to no site I have found...
My specific search on "a apisto" form got me welcomes from ;Brookster,Gillie and another young member from a couple other forums.....

The level of sharing is above any I have found(no fish clubs near me??).
On most other forums after I get known no one will offer me advice!
Thank God for Andy,Poppa ,Gillie,HUKIT,Brookster and all the others here who at least try to help others.
Book smart is far from street smart and neither alone is ever going to work in the BIG picture , it is a true balance of knowledge and practical experience IMO...
That's why teams are always better then individuals.

If it wasn't for my lfs I would have no outlet to sell my fish locally except dumb dumb dumb Craigslist. At least with my lfs they take time to teach people how to keep fish. I appreciate them and I tell them that often. In turn I've been told they'll try to sell whatever I can breed. Maybe the fish won't sell and maybe they will but they'll try. So I appreciate what you're saying Andy. If we all have the girl who doesn't know what L numbers are running fish shops, as a hobby we're in trouble.

Brenna

Salt from the tears of patriots fans. Remember who was there for Superbowl I??? I do. How bout dem Chieeeeeeeefs

Salt from our tears of joy maybe ;) No I don't remember Super Bowl I but my grandfather does, back in the days of the crusades....

Yes!! Ryno, you're getting all the spawns and babies today. Must be something in the water... hardy Har Har. Just kidding. Shows your determination to do what others can't or won't or are not able.

Brenna

I shouldn't have said anything about the eggs, there's 6 that just turned white.... :facepalm: Oh well. I pray to the fish gods, I repent of my cocksureness!

Honestly..... This discus spawn that just hatched.... I believe was my first ever 100% hatch.... No whites, nothing....

Honestly..... This discus spawn that just hatched.... I believe was my first ever 100% hatch.... No whites, nothing....

And that can be taken as a sign of good stock and good conditions/conditioning...
All qualities that come with experience of a master...(y)
Nicely done sir...:popcorn:

Now its a matter of what gets to free swimming and takes to the parents.

I shouldn't have said anything about the eggs, there's 6 that just turned white.... :facepalm: Oh well. I pray to the fish gods, I repent of my cocksureness!

Stand clear everybody.....:eek: I hear a Maine thunder from above and with that comes a ZAPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!! :hide: After enough times, the Fish Gods stop listening. :whistle: (You just can't teach that kind of thing. It comes from experience. :lol: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom