Poppa's Tanks n Stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics after big trim and WC. Waters still a lil stirred up.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I also found a nifty surprise after all work on the tank was done.

Lil boogers need to get moved to BB 40b.

This tank is awesome. Love how natural it looks. Some lucky fish in there. Joined the fold a bit late so sorry if this is a repeated question but how do you find keeping discus in a tank like this as I have read the general consensus with discus was not to use plants for vacuuming reasons and water clarity etc.

Do you change water in excess of 75% a few times a week like most discus keepers? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Them surprises are the fish rewarding you for all your hard work man , dam dem Discus love you !!!
Nice down shots of the tank by the way, sweet mama , they're so happy to breed for ya!!! [emoji39]

Clem

This tank is awesome. Love how natural it looks. Some lucky fish in there. Joined the fold a bit late so sorry if this is a repeated question but how do you find keeping discus in a tank like this as I have read the general consensus with discus was not to use plants for vacuuming reasons and water clarity etc.

Do you change water in excess of 75% a few times a week like most discus keepers? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

By new years... Maybe sooner, I'll be setting up one of the other 150gl tanks as more of a natural biotope. Ive got a gorgeous piece of driftwood that will be the overhang centerpiece. Then between the 2 big discus tanks ill be judging behavioural differences if any between the 2. Ya see, everyone seems caught up on root overhangs and less planted (more natural, right). Well kind of (mostly). The more im reading and researching (which with discus means translating a lot of Asian languages) im finding that discus and rams are wooded root overhang with sparse vegitation SA savannahish river basin fish. This holds true in most bio topes. But they spawn in times of change. Rainy season. Cool fresh water that allows them the freedom and safety to head to lagoons. Lush, green, vibrant, teaming with plants to spawn... So we'll set up the bio tope tank. Already have the lush lagoon tank. And start checking the differences.

I do change 10% daily, 30% weds, 70% sat or sun.

Them surprises are the fish rewarding you for all your hard work man , dam dem Discus love you !!!
Nice down shots of the tank by the way, sweet mama , they're so happy to breed for ya!!! [emoji39]

Clem

Thanks brother. Hows your angels doin?

Looks straight out of a magazine so awesome!
Thanks eggy. I like your tanks as well.

Tanks rock!!
The Frisbees and rams look great and have soooo much in common!

I agree on the wood/roots and less plants.
Just not lot of plants in the natural environment.
I have collected two types of leaves so far this fall for experimentation....(maple and elm?):brows:
Should be able to find some oak easy enough.
Possibly soil/dirt(deteriorated leaves and such.....) could be similar?
I am looking(hoping )for lower TDS and possibly anti bacterial effects from the leaves???
I know I can test the TDS,but the bacteria is something that will weigh out in fry tanks.
Possibly some form of micro food will be introduced by this process also?

Get them ebr going:popcorn:

Hope you are enjoying your day off.
Got to make them count when work burns up more then it should!

Thanks brother. Hows your angels doin?

Thanks eggy. I like your tanks as well.

Angels are doin well my brotha !!!
Went to my first fish auction today, just to speculate. It was a good experience, and I got to see how the local club does its business. I just didn't like the way you got to buy these fish, you never get to see properly what you are about to buy? It was here's the fish in a bag , you start the bid, but you can't really see what your actually buying. So the wife and I , left did some shopping and after that I took off to my lfs and guess what, bought guppies, a male and three female.[emoji39]
They're going in a 10gal, with some plants,a piece of driftwood, bare bottom tank, and I pick up some frogbit floating plants, just for fun !

Clem.

Went to my first fish auction today, just to speculate. It was a good experience, and I got to see how the local club does its business. I just didn't like the way you got to buy these fish, you never get to see properly what you are about to buy? It was here's the fish in a bag , you start the bid, but you can't really see what your actually buying. So the wife and I , left did some shopping and after that I took off to my lfs and guess what, bought guppies, a male and three female.[emoji39]
They're going in a 10gal, with some plants,a piece of driftwood, bare bottom tank, and I pick up some frogbit floating plants, just for fun !

Clem.

Dont be afraid to get up and take a closer look. Or ask to see them better. Im sure the auctioneer will hand them to you. Helps the sale, lol. That happens a lot at club auctions. On the flip side though, as you get more acquainted with your club and members, youll start to know whos got what and of what quality. So youll say (for example) oh jerry's GBRs are up. And youll know exactly what hes got to offer. Just dont let surprises slip by.

Dont be afraid to get up and take a closer look. Or ask to see them better. Im sure the auctioneer will hand them to you. Helps the sale, lol. That happens a lot at club auctions. On the flip side though, as you get more acquainted with your club and members, youll start to know whos got what and of what quality. So youll say (for example) oh jerry's GBRs are up. And youll know exactly what hes got to offer. Just dont let surprises slip by.

Thanks for the tip and I'm thinking of joining that club![emoji6]
I was at a new lfs and the owner was the ex President of the club, and he was at the auction too. It was a cool experience dude, meeting new people! [emoji106] [emoji106]

Clem.

Clem.

They don't lay everything out on tables for viewing beforehand? A quick here's what we have and a quick look see would drive me nuts. It may be worth mentioning to the club.

They don't lay everything out on tables for viewing beforehand? A quick here's what we have and a quick look see would drive me nuts. It may be worth mentioning to the club.
Hi man, it was my first time and I spoke to a friend today he said I should have went earlier because I could have viewed some fish before hand. I'm looking into joining the local club, to get to know the other people who breed fish, so next time I'm going to be ready to buy. For the most part the fish looked pretty good, because they inspect what going for sale that day.[emoji6]

Clem.

Will do. Uhhh i could be in trouble here. My interwebs (not phone) has been wacky. Theyve been out workin on it... That said i have yet to register for saturdays annual fall auction. Im tryin to email the forms to my pops and have him print them. Fill them out. And try n register somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom