Poppa's Tanks n Stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I did a massive deep clean on my big girl 150gl planted SA. It only took abt an hour. But i can tell you that i did find more of the baby mystery shrimp. I can now say in confidence that they are AMANO SHRIMP. I have pics. Not sure how they made it through the larval stage with out SW or Brackish, but they did. Sweetness... i gotta me lil amanos.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sure they're not ghost shrimp?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes. All I've ever had in there are amanos and bamboo shrimp. Ill get some pics up in a bit and you can tell me what you think.

Not saying it's impossible, like you said amanos need brackish to hatch out. That'd be sweet if you got em! And $$$$$$$$

Yes. All I've ever had in there are amanos and bamboo shrimp. Ill get some pics up in a bit and you can tell me what you think.

If it's the case&you have a true freshwater amano shrimp breeding colony then you'll be Rollin in scribble!
I'll take 6 plz...

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok. So i took 2 to my LFS and asked for help identifying. The owner and the heas fish guy both say AMANO. They then excitedly quizzed me abt how it happened and my process. I told them no process. It just happened in my 150gl. He's comin over later to check the rest out. Im still baffled by this. Is it that big a deal if they are baby amanos?

Ok. So i took 2 to my LFS and asked for help identifying. The owner and the heas fish guy both say AMANO. They then excitedly quizzed me abt how it happened and my process. I told them no process. It just happened in my 150gl. He's comin over later to check the rest out. Im still baffled by this. Is it that big a deal if they are baby amanos?

HUGE deal. I doubt that it has ever been done before. If you ask me, you could make a lot of money out of this. Just document it. Maybe take some out and put in a less heavily planted tank so you can observe them and see if they do it again?

We shall see i guess. Im tryin not to get excited... but i truly don't think they can be anything else. This isn't a tank that gets things added often at all. Havent added plants in yrs. Only added a L018 pleco and 4 bamboo shrimp in the last yr now. Ive never owned ghost shrimp. So as i said.... we shall see

https://gabhar.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/breeding-amano/

Here is a decent article on breeding amanos. I just skimmed over it, but apparently they will breed in freshwater, but need a transition to brackish and back to fresh.
There is also a Taiwanese variant of Amano's referred to as Taimano's that reportedly will get the job done in freshwater. Possible yours are an imposter?

Jesse

Great link, jesse. I wanna be clear here, Im not claiming to know what they are. They aren't taimanos though. They ruled that out at the LFS. Cant remember what it was that he said showed him they weren't taimanos. As soon as im home from dropping these peacock cichlids and assassin snails from a not so LFS a town over.

Great link, jesse. I wanna be clear here, Im not claiming to know what they are. They aren't taimanos though. They ruled that out at the LFS. Cant remember what it was that he said showed him they weren't taimanos. As soon as im home from dropping these peacock cichlids and assassin snails from a not so LFS a town over.

Field Trip!

sit in silence...

When can I place my order for some skrimps???? My amano is lonely atm...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A lot of questions need answered first. But the fine people here at Poppas place will be the first to get a crack at em if its what they are. Fingers crossed. Don't care abt the money it could bring. I just wanna know if somethin cool is happening in me tank.

A lot of questions need answered first. But the fine people here at Poppas place will be the first to get a crack at em if its what they are. Fingers crossed. Don't care abt the money it could bring. I just wanna know if somethin cool is happening in me tank.

All I know is that successful amano breeding practices seems to be held purty tight to the chest.. if you cracked it than your publishing your findings good sir;)

Absolutely could be the Bee's Knee's.....

Just dropped off fish at an LFS a town over. The lady gave me 10 wild caught oto's for makin the drive up there. SCORE.

Just dropped off fish at an LFS a town over. The lady gave me 10 wild caught oto's for makin the drive up there. SCORE.

This is cool!
You get dem scribbles?

Half goes to my GLA budget. Other half of any money i ever make off aquariums goes to a college fund (IRA) for my son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom