Poppa's Tanks n Stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work Poppa!!!
You make it look easy bro, I like the way you put the mesh guards for the eggs. Did you make your own, or you bought them like that?
The fish look great too!!![emoji38]
The Apistos colored up nice .
I understand what Andy is saying to you about the time it takes to breed some quality fish, as I study more about breeding and strains, genetics, breeding is a slow process, as for me it will be slow as I slowly establish my craft. I'm currently researching breeders in Canada and to my surprise there's quit a few. Looks like I may have to import some if I can't find any here, I'm going less to the lfs or big name stores as I'm seeing some quality and not so healthy fish after buying them. So when I'm going to breed I'm going to buy young fish of good size and raise them myself, it seems a bit slow but you can see what your getting and have some control of your fish.
Best of luck and have a Merry Christmas!!![emoji319]

You have very fine taste in fish man
I like them all!!![emoji12]

Clem

Nice work Poppa!!!
You make it look easy bro, I like the way you put the mesh guards for the eggs. Did you make your own, or you bought them like that?
The fish look great too!!![emoji38]
The Apistos colored up nice .
I understand what Andy is saying to you about the time it takes to breed some quality fish, as I study more about breeding and strains, genetics, breeding is a slow process, as for me it will be slow as I slowly establish my craft. I'm currently researching breeders in Canada and to my surprise there's quit a few. Looks like I may have to import some if I can't find any here, I'm going less to the lfs or big name stores as I'm seeing some quality and not so healthy fish after buying them. So when I'm going to breed I'm going to buy young fish of good size and raise them myself, it seems a bit slow but you can see what your getting and have some control of your fish.
Best of luck and have a Merry Christmas!!![emoji319]

You have very fine taste in fish man
I like them all!!![emoji12]

Clem

With that frame of mind you'll do just fine breeding. A lot of people get sidetracked "bandwagon breeding". They see someone get cool fish and talk abt breeding them. So then they do it. And most I'm finding dont even know or understand why the strains are suffering after a few gens. Take for example how many on here do guppies for "a bit of money". Only 1-5% do it correctly. Most scoff at the idea of 10-20 tanks per strain. But that effort and time is a must. Anything less can & will lead to bad genes. They don't see what happens many generations down the line. Quality, control, time, effort can nip most of that in the bud. Another i see a bit is... Oh hey i got these "blah blah" theyre cool. Can someone basically write a manual on breeding them for me. So i can do it incorrectly anyways.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Passion... All about a passion for it. Hope you and yours have a safe and joy filled holiday, Clem, my friend & brother. Oh and i believe Canada has gwynnbrooke farms i think!

With that frame of mind you'll do just fine breeding. A lot of people get sidetracked "bandwagon breeding". They see someone get cool fish and talk abt breeding them. So then they do it. And most I'm finding dont even know or understand why the strains are suffering after a few gens. Take for example how many on here do guppies for "a bit of money". Only 1-5% do it correctly. Most scoff at the idea of 10-20 tanks per strain. But that effort and time is a must. Anything less can & will lead to bad genes. They don't see what happens many generations down the line. Quality, control, time, effort can nip most of that in the bud. Another i see a bit is... Oh hey i got these "blah blah" theyre cool. Can someone basically write a manual on breeding them for me. So i can do it incorrectly anyways.

Yes brotha man you said it so well!!![emoji12] Happy Fishmass [emoji319]

Clem

I'm trying to do it right too... it's not so easy! Those eggs are exciting- the rebirth of the empire! I can;t wait to see what you do with them.

I'm trying to do it right too... it's not so easy! Those eggs are exciting- the rebirth of the empire! I can;t wait to see what you do with them.

Im excited as well. I can see eyes in the eggs. So tomorrow is the day for wigglers if im blessed enough to get them that far.

Fingers crossed for that crystal yellow spawn..
There are a lot of more colorful discus but the 'purity' of the yellow just strikes me.
Sometime simple can still look good.
Crystal yellow is the male?
Is there a chosen parent sex to feed the fry or is every pair different?

Im 80/20 yellows the male. From what is written its usually the female but both can and will feed.

IME the fry will be attracted to either. Just depends on the who's darkly colored up more. I haven't played with albino and white discus, but i hear the fry can be much harder to rear for trouble finding light pigmented parents. Discus Get very colorful but get darker colorings when lording over eggs n fry. This makes it easier for them to locate the parents.

I read about how the colors attract the fry and how the lighter color have issues.
Some where I read they would prefer one of their own as far as color/strain.
I found it amusing to think they knew what they looked like???
But my 3 different strains/colors in my 180 ended pairing with their own!
Did the crystal and mate choose each other from being in a group???
I had several spawns from mixed but like almost all my others the went haywire...

Having a hard time finding more then just common info on the psitos...
Where /how do you search?
I know there is a lot of info on discus,it was easy to read something different everyday.
I can't much on specific species besides 'generic' info...

Yes and no on the seeing the same strain they are thing. They do, but its still ok to surrogate parents if you have to. They will go to the surrogates. As a wise friend reminded me.... Surrogates for white and albino type strains still goes on today. I knew this, but was glad he knocked the cobwebs off that info in my head. I do alot of reading. Not page jumping the net, but actual books. Kindle is amazing for this. If you recall its from hard book i had that ram info for you about the expeditions. Im a hands on kinda guy too. So i try a lot of things out that dont make it onto my AA report. Lots of lil experiments. Severe hyperactive doesnt hurt either. But in all honesty.... Books and articles first. People/hobbyists second. Web third.

Oh and yes the yellow crystal and the leopard chose each other in the big girl.

I read about how the colors attract the fry and how the lighter color have issues.
Some where I read they would prefer one of their own as far as color/strain.
I found it amusing to think they knew what they looked like???
But my 3 different strains/colors in my 180 ended pairing with their own!
Did the crystal and mate choose each other from being in a group???
I had several spawns from mixed but like almost all my others the went haywire...

Having a hard time finding more then just common info on the psitos...
Where /how do you search?
I know there is a lot of info on discus,it was easy to read something different everyday.
I can't much on specific species besides 'generic' info...

Most of the info that you're going to find for apistos is going to be generic, but with tank strains, it's really all you need. It's not until you get into wild species that you may need special care.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most of the info that you're going to find for apistos is going to be generic, but with tank strains, it's really all you need. It's not until you get into wild species that you may need special care.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I assume artificial rearing would be near the same as rams for them???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom