Population Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fearitself

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im having issues with my guppies. they are having fry like mice and i was wondering if they would make a nice meal for my red eared sliders. i have two fairly large turtles but i am not sure if they will eat them. i know this sounds mean and all but i dont really have any other solution.

Im having issues with my guppies. they are having fry like mice and i was wondering if they would make a nice meal for my red eared sliders. i have two fairly large turtles but i am not sure if they will eat them. i know this sounds mean and all but i dont really have any other solution.

No people do it all the time, I have a red eared slider as well. If you can fit one in your fish tank get a gourami, they will eat you fry as long as the can find them

tbh about 20 guppies a corey catfish and a pleco. only 3 or 4 guppies are fully grown though. i have a 15 gallon filter on my tank. when i got the fish i didnt really research and now i am at a stall. i would like to restock my tank with more colorful fish so that it doesnt look as crowded but more eye catching.

tbh about 20 guppies a corey catfish and a pleco. only 3 or 4 guppies are fully grown though. i have a 15 gallon filter on my tank. when i got the fish i didnt really research and now i am at a stall. i would like to restock my tank with more colorful fish so that it doesnt look as crowded but more eye catching.

If it's a common pleco take it back and get about 2 more cories and a dwarf gourami, the gourami won't wipeout the fry but any that get big enough put with the sliders

Will petsmart take my pleco and give me store credit? just wondering and i like that idea

its been a couple months. but if anything it will be a better home for his size. he is only 4 - 5 inches so it isnt that bad right now

Oh alright i will have to look into it. i really like the idea of the dwarf gourami because i think they look really cool

so I put about 10 guppies with my turtles and from what i saw they ate one and then havnt touched them since. that was a couple hours ago so idk if they have eaten any more. they stay outside in a big kitty pool in my backyard during the warm months

Starve your turtles and leave the guppies in the tank, eventually they will pick them off

its been a couple months. but if anything it will be a better home for his size. he is only 4 - 5 inches so it isnt that bad right now

This is very bad for the pleco. He will suffer stunted growth (keeping a fish in a too small environment) if not removed quickly.

Did you know about guppies and their spawning behavior when you got them?

Starve your turtles and leave the guppies in the tank, eventually they will pick them off

No that's not the way to go, I have an adult male red eared slider and they should be fed fish as a treat, it's fine if he puts them in the tank because they will also exersize to get them. Also this is the way to feed your turts if you go on vacation or forget to feed them. Over time your turtles will see the guppys as food so they don't have to wait for you to feed them. Still feed them sticks or formula because these keep alot of calcium and minerals the guppys cannot provide. If you want to have no fry at all I would take all the females out of your aquarium and put them with the turtles.this way your aquarium is very colorful with all the males. Another thing is that the turtles may not see the females right away because of the little color they have, I had a gray female guppy in my tank for 2 years and to this day is still with my turtle and I even feed the guppy because she is so stealth :)

A common Pleco in a 10g tank is really bad even if they are only a few inches long. A started tank for a baby Pleco would be a 55g and by the time they reach 4-5" the Pleco should be transferred to a 90-125g tank. He needs to be re-homed very quickly to prevent organ damage caused by stunting.
It's not your fault that the FS sold you a Pleco for a 10g tank. It happens all to often. There isn't any Pleco that can live in a 10g tank. The smallest of Plecos need a minimum of 30g to survive in.
I wish it were mandatory for FS to tell you what size tank the fish belong in, it would save a lot of fish and help people make better choices for their tank stock. Most people trust that the FS will give them the appropriate advice when they ask questions. A false assumption in many cases.

You guys he gets it, no common pleco, if you ha e read most of this thread he has already said he is going to try and take it back, he asked a question and he is getting replies about something else that is not helping his issue

If you have a local pet store that is not a chain they MIGHT take your fry, but don't expect store credit (in my experience). They may take them as feeder guppies

Back
Top Bottom