population control fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Da Squid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

I am concerned about an over population of marigold sword tails in my 75g heavily planted tank. It's not an issue yet, but I'd like to do something now before the other fish are lost in a sea of orange and yellow. Could I find a fish that might be aggressive enough to cut down on the fry and sniff them out of all the leafy hiding places?

My current stock contains 2 SAE's, 2 zebra loaches, 1 emerald cory, 1 black molly, maybe six neons (the neons are getting old and have been dropping off every few months), around 10-12 swordtails,and about 8 silver fin/similar tetras. The community is such that there is no fighting or aggression at all. I keep the tank very clean and the nitrates at around 10 at any given time. It's run with pressurized CO2 if that matters.

I'd like to find a more natural solution than bagging swordtails and dumping them in a LFS. Any ideas? I thought tiger barbs could be an option after my neons all finally pass on, provided I get some that are young enough.

Thanks for the advice!

If you can trade the fish at the LFS, I'd keep doing that. If you're just donating them, I can understand wanting a predator.

The small tetras present a problem. I'd suggest a pictus or a raphael cat, but they'll also eat the tetras. I lost several full-grown guppies to my cats.

Maybe you'd consider rainbows? My praecox rainbows are voracious eaters, but they have small mouths. One did choke down a waxworm, but I think that's the biggest thing he could eat.

Anything that will prey on the fry will prey on smaller fish as well. Personally, I'd add a single adult angel and let things shake out. ;)

I'm not at all familiar with rainbows but will look into them. I've heard horror stories about angels tearing up planted aquariums, though I agree it would be quite a spectacle to watch! Thanks for the tips.

I would get a angel.
I have never had problems keeping angels in planted tanks. If you get a juvi angel, it should not be a problem keeping it with tetra. Because the tank is planted, then you may not have problems when the angel matures. I keep angels in a heavily planted tank with CPD, and Dario Dario with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom