population -- over/under pop ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MisticX

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have
2 Anglefish marble (both kids) (they are splendid)
4 platy (3 mature 1 kid)
2 moly (mature)
2 cory (adolescent-is/mature)
6 zebra danios (all 6 mature)

aquarium is a 30 gals

am i overpoped ?

You are fine IMO. You could probably even add a little more if you wanted like 5 neons or something along those lines.

i am thinking one of these (in order of preferences)

2 more angels (some sort that do not grow too big ... maybe marble again)
or
3 females gupy + 1 more male (forgot i have a male gup)
or
1 more female moly + 1 more male
or
1-2 more cory (i real love how they clean everything)

With enough filtration and plenty of w/c's...no problem.

tank is heavily planted, so PWC's are not always a need.

am doing them when i see the N-ites are too high

Your nitritITES should be 0ppm if the tank is cycled and up to ~20ppm of nitrATES with planted tank.

If your nitrates get high then your not heavily planted or your plants are not growing fast and taking in nutrients.

I would not put more angels in there, get something peaceful, add to the numbers of fish you already have.

how many live plants do you guys recommend in a 29gal? Not to hi-jack your thread or anything.. just brought it to my attention lol

heer heer ... my bad, mixed them.
yesh you are right, i ment the ones at the end of the N cycle (no3 right?)

Yup, nitrate is NO3-

If your nitrates get high then your not heavily planted or your plants are not growing fast and taking in nutrients.

I would not put more angels in there, get something peaceful, add to the numbers of fish you already have.

Some plants just don't use nitrates like others do. I agree, no more angels. How about a pair of GBR's? Those would go well in the bottom-mid level of the tank.

how many live plants do you guys recommend in a 29gal? Not to hi-jack your thread or anything.. just brought it to my attention lol

I recommend as many as you can fit in the tank without them preventing the fish from being able to swim and without them preventing the other plants from growing. A planted tank looks much more beautiful than a non-planted one IMO.

i have tried finding a pair of GBR but honestly i haven't managed to.

Montreal seems to specialize on fish that die in 4-8 weeks ;(
(yes i know the profit is huge that way because people buy and buy and buy and buy)

Whether or not the tank is overstocked seems to be a split decision....but in any case adding more angels will likely cause territory problems.

Also, just using NO3 levels to indicate whether or not a tank is overstocked is missing one key point....water quality may be fine from a numbers perspective but the fish may still be overcrowded and unhappy. There shouldn't be so many fish that every part of the tank is always occupied by fish, they need space to get away from each other sometime.

I would add more cories as they are happier in larger groups. The platy and molly populations are likely to increase on their own at least until the angels get bigger.

Back
Top Bottom